Hot water pipes frozen

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

jr6300

I have cold water @ all taps. No hot water @ any. The inlet & outlet pipes above the water heater (elec) are hot, but not farther down. I have been trying with a blow dryer where the plastic pipe goes into the floor with the hot tap wide open in bathroom right beside walk in closet with water heater.

no luck yet?

Any suggestions I would appreciate.

Thanx in advance,

Joe
YKX

Close all your furnace vents in the house and blase the furnace for a good 5-15min. Keep the taps open on the side it is frozen. Should work.. Keep us informed.

YKX
Greg

It may take longer than 15min. Check the underbelly & skirting for holes. Both need to be tight with no holes to let the cold air in. Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
Manitoba Bill

You're assuming you have frozen pipes yet you say you have cold water running at all taps.

Perhaps you need to check if there is blockage in the lines going in or out of the HWT. Not knowing where you are located but we have had -34C overnight and wind chills and my heat tape has kept the water flowing.

In any case just be extra careful with trying to thaw anything.
Don't repeat this fellas sad tragedy.

http://www.winnipegsun.com/News/Winnipe ... 39221.html
[color=red]
I'm not an Expert, just a DIY[/color]
Robert

DO NOT close all your registers and run your furnace unless you want some costly repairs.

Hot water lines will be first to freeze, if closest hot tap is not getting hot water, then hot line between tank and there is first place to check.

Burst pipes happen when frozen lines are thawed out too quickly, need to take a slow approach.

Take care and best wishes,
Robert
Some people are Humbly Grateful, while some are Grumbly Hateful.................... Which one are you ?