Was Told Whole House Humidifier in MH ~ "Not Legal &

Post all other heating and cooling questions here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark

I have an 1900 sq foot manufactured home in Michigan, and I run 4 stand alone humidifiers all day long refilling them at least 2x per day, lots of trips to the sink and 2 of them have dual tanks (and supposedly humidify upto 1500 sq feet) yet even with 4 of them going constantly its dry as heck in here!

And filling those tanks is no fun, me standing at the sink to fill 12+ tanks per day if not more on colder days just is getting old quick.

I keep the furnace set at 67 during the day and 64 during the night, nothing excessive heat wise yet its always so DRY in here, I am lucky if I can get the humidifiers to keep the room humidity above 20 on the gauge :(

I am tired of filling these tanks and had decided to check into getting a whole house humidifier. I checked with a mobile home general supplier (a bit of everything) but they said they had nothing for mobile homes relating to whole house humidifiers.

I asked as home depot and was told they never have been asked that question, but they assumed I could use a normal whole house humidfier and adapt it if needed to fit my furnace but to check with a mobile home heating and air company to confirm.

Last check I made was with the company that replaces and maintains the leased homes where I live and they told me that putting a whole house humidifier on a manufactured home was illegal and unsafe to do. When I asked why they said because the unit has to have a run off (I guess for condensation or possibly accidental overflow?) and that since the mobile home design is open below the line could freeze or cause other issues?

Is this even true? I thought maybe they just didn't want to do the job, but I have no clue really, I am just tired of filling these humidifier tanks over and over and over again and was hoping for some relief by adding a whole house unit.

Bill :)
Robert

Hi Bill,

I haven't dealt with any and therefore can't say. However, your home has an incoming water line underneath.

IF you can prevent it freezing, you can do same with any other line.

That said, you still need to check HUD and local codes to know for sure.

Take care and best wishes,
Robert
Some people are Humbly Grateful, while some are Grumbly Hateful.................... Which one are you ?