What is behind this trim?

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

Lorne

What would be behind the white, tin roof edge trim, besides rot.

Solid wood of some type that is nailed to the roof joists?

I want to put up rain gutters and need an idea what is behind.
Last edited by Lorne on Mon Jan 21, 2008 4:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1987 Craftsman Double Wide 42x28,w/attached 28x12 foot enclosed porch/ re-shingled 2 yrs ago. Original exterior vinyl w/no sheathing.
shadow745

Well I'd say the best thing to do would be to remove some of and see for sure. I guess you weren't wanting to hear that though. We have a modular home by Crestline with similar looking soffits (I guess that's the word) and I simply removed the vinyl vent material and saw that we have fairly large studs under those parts, if that makes sense! But our home is a true modular with a 7/12 pitch roof and may be different.

We did have gutters installed and the guy had no problem attaching them. I'm assuming he screwed into the ends of the studs for support.
SpongeBob

HI, Shadow is right, reomove a couple pieces of the vented soffit and you will see the spacing between the tail pieces of roof rafters. Then "mark" the outside of your trim to locate where your gutter fasteners will go. Hope this helps.

-Bob
RGS

I would say as long as the fascia is wood and about an inch thick at least it would work fine but if you can find the studs/rafters would be even better. You might even be able to tell by looking where the fascia boards are attached with screws or nails, there should be rafters there.
Greg

There should be at least a 1x4 if not a 2x4 or larger. only one way to find out! Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
Lorne

You are all right. I need to pull some apart to actually what I'm dealing with. If there is any rot I just have to replace the bad sections.

Thanks for all your suggestions. The window and wall right below this was all rotted away and had to be rebuilt and the water came off the roof at this point, so I am expecting to see more rot.

I'll be sure and take pictures and add them to my rot file.
1987 Craftsman Double Wide 42x28,w/attached 28x12 foot enclosed porch/ re-shingled 2 yrs ago. Original exterior vinyl w/no sheathing.