?? abt Pex and manifolds

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

happysmyly

We are planning on replacing plumbing with Pex this coming spring/summer and I am wondering from those of you who have worked with pex lines... is it better to have one manifold from which all lines start (1/2 and 3/8 inch depending on the use)--or have a smaller manifold to start and 3/4 or 1/2 inch supply lines going to another smaller manifold in each basic area (kitchen, master bath, other bath, etc)?
If it makes a difference - the main manifold would be at one end of the house - right close to the master bath, the kitchen is about 25 feet from there and the 2nd bath is about 50 feet from the manifold end.
What are your thoughts/experience - and which do you prefer and why?
Thank you so very much in advance for all input!!
Have a great day!!
:) Liz
JD
Site Admin

Hi Liz,

I would use a manifold system for new construction, but for the mobile homes, I use PEx as a direct replacement. I run the PEx in the same holes that the poly was in, which makes that part easier. I also like having the shutoff valves next to the fixtures. When we charge for replacement, cost is always a factor. For DIY, maybe not so much.

JMO
JD
☯JD♫
Today is PERFECT!

All information and advice given is for entertainment and informational purposes only. The person doing the work is solely responsible to insure that their work complies with their local building code and OSHA safety regulations.
Archie

Manifolds are great if you have a lot of fixtures to supply, have a somewhat low water pressure, and have the room to run the amount of pipes needed.

By using a manifold you can eliminate many of the "T's", elbows, and other fittings that may reduce the water pressure to the fixture. Shutoff valves can be installed on each individual line so that if needed you can shut down only those lines that need repaired without interupting the others. Most manifolds are connected to the incoming water line at both ends of the manifold, this allows for a more balanced water pressure when more than one fixture is in use at once.

Some drawbacks to manifolds would be.
The cost of installation is much higher due to amount of materials needed.

More water pipes under a mobile home increases the chance of a water line freeze up.

All depends on what you desire and require.
Experience is what you get after you need it.
Jim from Canada

I have mulled over this exact same thing. In my opinion, 1 manifold for hot, 1 for cold, shut offs on the manifold. The price of the tubing is relatively cheap. If the tubing freezes, it won't burst and will go back to it's original shape upon thawing. You will have a connector at the manifold and one at the fixture only.

Jim