Dead vent fan, and how to tell if hot water heater is going

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

phelpcd1

My vent fan in the bathroom has stopped working........it quit a while back and I have finally got around to removing the ceiling plate to look inside.......I can't figure out how to replace this. When you flip the switch, you can hear it hum like it wants to start, but the blades don't turn at all. Can I get this at Lowes or HD?

Also - I've been on vacation for 2 weeks and staying at my MH in the country - here on my very last day, last shower, I run completely out of hot water! It was only about a 10-15 min. shower too. I couldn't stay around long enough to see if it heated all the way back up or not, but it was warmer a little while later. Is this a sign the hot water heater is going bad? Should I just have this replaced or wait till it doesn't heat up at all? This MH is only a little over 3 years old (bought brand new) so I can't believe things are already starting to fall apart.

On another note, I built some shelving while on vacation and put up by myself - I've never used a saw before so I am happy that I'm learning all this stuff. My mom got me a miter saw for xmas and I bought a jig saw - love those! Anyway, in my "created" storage/work room area, I needed some serious organization so I put up 4 shelving units on one end, and finished the shelving units (3) on the other end. The 3 shelves are used as a pantry to store canned and paper goods etc. And the other end is for general storage. I also hung a couple of smaller shelves and a storage rack to hold paints. I also use this room as my dog room (dog crates where they sleep), and a work room where I can have a laptop/office space, sewing space, and painting space. It's amazing how a little organizing can create all kinds of space to utilize - this room is only 5' x 14'. Nothing is perfect but for never having cut wood and put up my own shelves, I'm pretty proud of what I accomplished!

Demolition

They have an assortment of Vent Fans at Lowes. Loud, Quiet or with fancy lights. Just make sure the Electric Power in Watts is about the same.

AFTER you turn the power OFF, you can take out your old Vent Fan, and take it with you to the hardware store. They are used to seeing that.

For your hot water heater, First see if there is a red button beneath a plastic tab thingy. Push the plastic tab thingy and the heater may re-set.

If that don't work, I recommend replacing the Heater Element and the Thermo-Stat assembly. The Heater Element is about $10 and the Thermo thing is about $15.

I replace both at the same time because you have to SHUT OFF the Electric and the Water and drain the water heater when you change the element.

Again, you can take the old parts with you to make sure you get the right thing, And BE SURE to tell them this is for a Mobile Home.

I'm sorry, these instructions are only for Electric Water Heaters.
If it is Gas or Propane, call a plumber.
Call Dinwiddie Demolition we'll tear that house right down.
Sweep up every splinter n haul it out of town
SpongeBob

Hi Phelpcd1,
Demolition is right, the fan should be an easy fix. Once you remove the ceiling cover grate, you will see that the fan is actually "plugged" into the electrical connection box up there. Then the fan should release with maybe one or two screws. Take it with you and they will match it up for you. I believe that if your home is only 3 years old, then you have some warranty recourse on your hot water heater. Hope this helped.
-Bob