Outside air vent.

Post all other heating and cooling questions here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark

flcruising

Would it be a bad idea to block off the outside air duct that connects to our furnace? We're all electric.
[color=blue]Aaron[/color]
Greg

If you are totally electric heat it should be ok to stull the duct with insulation. The duct is designed to take outside air in for combustion in a gas or oil furnace. Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
SpongeBob

Hi Aaron,
If the furnace is offline completely go ahead as Greg said and stuff it. However, if it still in running condition, put a post-a-note in an obvious location so that the next person who tries to operate it will know what you have done. Just another layer of safety and only takes a moment.
-Bob
flcruising

This is a new house, and there's never been gas installed. Our owner's information mentions a passive whole house ventilation system, which I'm assuming is refering to this outside air duct. I don't see a need to heat/condition outside air, am I wrong? Yes, this furnace is in use too.
[color=blue]Aaron[/color]
Robert

Hi,

Is it a flex duct coming down from roof and connecting to front or rear of furnace at midway point just above blower motor housing ?

If so, it is for mixing fresh outside air with the return air in home to keep it fresher and less stale.

The blower motor pulls the air in through a roof vent and down the flex duct when blower is running.

It doesn't effect the Furnace and is best to leave open.

Thanks,
Robert
Some people are Humbly Grateful, while some are Grumbly Hateful.................... Which one are you ?