Shower control replacement

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

blackbird_pilot

New to the forum! Looks great though.

I have a question about my shower controls. We live in a 1996 manufactured home/mobile home which ever you want to call it. We love the place but are planning on building a new home on our ranch. I'm trying to fix up a few things here and there.

My biggest problem right now is the small leaks I have at the shower controls. The controls don't seem to want to shut the water off all the way. I can't seem to find how to remove the controls from the shower. I'm not sure if I have to access the back side of the controls through the wall or what? This also goes for my tub controls. I sure hope I don't have to make a hole in the wall. Thanks and any help would be greatly appreciated.

BP.
Harry

Hi

Usually you have to access from behind. If you have no access panel....you have to make one.

Harry
Aside from the roof leak, soft floors, rats, mice and bursted plumbing ........ how do you like it?
blackbird_pilot

Thats kind of what I thought. That really sucks.
Thanks for the information though!
BP
Harry wrote:Hi

Usually you have to access from behind. If you have no access panel....you have to make one.

Harry
JD
Site Admin

Depending on the faucet installed, you may be able to replace the valve cartridge from the front of the faucet. This wasn't the standard type faucet on the older mobile homes, but one may be installed on your '96.

JD
☯JD♫
Today is PERFECT!

All information and advice given is for entertainment and informational purposes only. The person doing the work is solely responsible to insure that their work complies with their local building code and OSHA safety regulations.
Demolition

Parts for older mobile homes are not always the same as parts for regular houses.
So, when you go to Lowes, read the box.

To get to the shower parts, you might have to remove the little fake wood trim molding, then remove the paneling.

I like to turn off the water at the meter, and turn off power to the Hot Water Tank before I play with water. You can drain the piping (mostly) after that by opening the bathtub spicket.

It is OK if you take the part off and walk into the Hardware Store with the plumbing in your hand. They see that all the time and it helps them get you the right part.

I am not suggesting this next thing for you but here is what I did.
I made washer-machine hose connections in the plumbing and use washer-machine hoses to connect the Bathtub faucet.

The only other weird thing you may run into, is if the wall behind the tub is rotted, you can put a piece of plyboard behind the wall to help the faucet stay on better.

Last but not least... Caulk is Your Friend.
Call Dinwiddie Demolition we'll tear that house right down.
Sweep up every splinter n haul it out of town
Harry

Hi

Can you take a pic of the controls? Then we can tell ya how to repair.

Harry
Aside from the roof leak, soft floors, rats, mice and bursted plumbing ........ how do you like it?
blackbird_pilot

I'll be taking a picture tonight and posting it! That may help everyone! But thanks for all the help, I have some ideas now.

BP.
blackbird_pilot

Ok guys, here are the pictures of my shower stall. The controls in the other bathroom (tub) is the same way.
JD
Site Admin

Those look like the standard issue mobile home type faucets, which I have found to usually be a plastic faucet. Those should be replaced with a Moen, Delta or other name brand faucet with a cartridge type valve. The cartridge valve would make future repairs (if needed) easier. Just print this picture and show it to the guy in the plumbing section, and he can show you what will work. It may end up looking like 2 separate handles, instead of a one piece unit, but the fixture itself would be the same behind the enclosure wall.

You can probably find a direct replacement mobile home faucet like the ones you have, but they would also be the cheap style faucet which will wear out after a while.

JD
☯JD♫
Today is PERFECT!

All information and advice given is for entertainment and informational purposes only. The person doing the work is solely responsible to insure that their work complies with their local building code and OSHA safety regulations.
blackbird_pilot

So either way I'm looking at making an access panel behind the controls.
Thanks for all the help!
Scott
JD wrote:Those look like the standard issue mobile home type faucets, which I have found to usually be a plastic faucet. Those should be replaced with a Moen, Delta or other name brand faucet with a cartridge type valve. The cartridge valve would make future repairs (if needed) easier. Just print this picture and show it to the guy in the plumbing section, and he can show you what will work. It may end up looking like 2 separate handles, instead of a one piece unit, but the fixture itself would be the same behind the enclosure wall.

You can probably find a direct replacement mobile home faucet like the ones you have, but they would also be the cheap style faucet which will wear out after a while.

JD
Adriamarie

I also have a similar question on replacement of My Plastic handles, I cannot find any to replace them, I've been to Lowes & Home depot and nothing. I've seen similer ones for sale on different mobile home sites but the inside of mine are hollow and most picture on the sites don't show the inside.
My handles just have a single screw that goes into the middle and onto a metal stub type handle nothing fancy.
I own a 70's Fleetwood that has been totally remodeled so I don't know if these are original handles or New, but they need to be replaced very soon as I have water dripping as I cannot shut them off they are cracked.
Any suggestions as to where to find them would be awesome.
StillKavey

If you have a mobile home supply in your area they will have direct replacements. Try contacting a local MH sales store and ask them if there are any suppliers in your area or ask your park manager. If not youll have to either order one or go to a big box store and make something work. Or have someone on here who has a supplier nearby order it and send it to you.
JD
Site Admin

Here is a mobile home 8" shower valve. John sells almost any configuration of mobile home faucet.

http://ashvillemobilehomes.com/8showervalve.html

I really really recommend buying a standard shower from a local home store.

JD
☯JD♫
Today is PERFECT!

Adriamarie

My knobs look exactly like those listed on the ashville mobile home site, but again I cannot tell if they are hollow, So I will check locally with some mobile home shops and see if I can find something and if not I will just change it out. Thank You so much for a quick reply & the help. I've always loved this site and really like the improvements that have been added
flcruising

When the valve leaks, it usually is just a couple o-rings/washers that need replacing for a couple bucks. There should be no need to tear out the faucet to fix this.
First thing is shut off your water main.
Next pop the plastic cover off the front of the knob and remove the philips screw; the knob should pull off.
Then it's simply removing the valve with a deep socket.
[color=blue]Aaron[/color]