Too much ductwork.... wondering if this will hurt.

Post all other heating and cooling questions here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark

garrett_reukauf

I have a new SWMH, with a new HVAC heat pump. Last week I notice some plastic baggies and stuff in the duct work and the debris would blow up and block the registers. The MH manufacture must have forgot to clean up after themselves when the were building MH, lol. I took registers off and cleaned them out and vac'ed out all the dust and stuff. Stuck a small mirror and flashlight down there just to make sure there was nothing else in there that shouldn't be down there. While I was looking under there I noticed that on both ends of MH where the last vent register is, there is about 5' to 6' feet of excess duct work past the last register in the front and last register in the rear of my home. I was thinking of making some sort of barrier to block off the excess duct work right there where the vent is. I WILL NOT be block off the actual vent and no airflow should be affected. I cant see any reason why this would cause and problems with my HVAC unit. But I wanted to run this by some of the techs on here to see what they think. This may not even make a difference one way or the other, but I thought I'd give it a try. Maybe this way I would have so much air blowing past the vent and bouncing back to the register, this way it would just go directly out the register. Any ideas???? Good or Bad???
Thanks in advance! Hope everybody is having a great holiday season.
Yanita

Hi,

Could you leave the make and model of the unit that you are inquiring about. Read the posting tips at the begining of the HVAC forums in case there is more info needed.

Would it be possible to post a pic of the extra ductwork?

Yanita
The difference between success and failure is who gives up first!
Robert

Hi,

Shouldn't pose any problems to put a makeshift barrier/air diverter in there and see what difference it makes.

Maybe a 1/2 or 3/4 wall sort of.

Take care and best wishes,
Robert
Some people are Humbly Grateful, while some are Grumbly Hateful.................... Which one are you ?
garrett_reukauf

Thanks Robert, all I was gonna do was get 2'x2' piece of sheet metal, or something close to that size and just make some air dams to slide down in there. Secure them w/ a few sheet metal screws and either tape the seams with foil tape or use the duct caulking stuff.
Sorry Yanita, I know I should've post the model, but I am half way across the U.S. from where I live and dont have that info on hand.
Thanks again folks...
Robert

Sounds good, let us know if it helps.

Robert
Some people are Humbly Grateful, while some are Grumbly Hateful.................... Which one are you ?
Yanita

Hi,

Although both of you know what is going on and have a visual, LOL, I do not, could you still post a pic?

Yanita
Greg

My guess would be that when the home was being built the ran the duct the entire lenght to cover all of the possible floor plans. that still does not excuse the crud left behind. perhaps a quick letter to the manufacturer is in order. Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
Robert

Hi All,

Greg is correct as I understand what I was told a few years ago.

Yanita,

Most homes, including doubles are like this. Check yours first and if not, I'll get you a pic.

Just go to last register at one end of home, remove grille and shine light toward end of home.

Look and see if the duct keeps going past that register almost to end of home, usually 4-6 feet more or so.

Thanks,
Robert
Yanita

Hi Robert,

No, mine do not extend beyond the register, but it is all new flex ducting before we bought the place. I know LOL, not your choice of duct material, but it is new so it shall remain until the mice eat it up!

I do understand what you are talking about now. Seems like a waste of materials.

Anyways just like to learn a little from over here when I can, thanks guys.

Yanita
Robert

Yep, it can be a waste, but can also be a good thing IF you need a register on other side of room or something.

Keep them mice at bay, they sure do make mush of those flex ducts.

Robert
Yanita

SSSHHHHH,

Not alot I can do with commercial soy bean, wheat, corn growing up to the property line. Once the fields are harvested, those little guys come running my way.

Yanita
Robert

LOL, same here. Live in center of what use to be a cotton field 10 years ago and still surrounded by cotton, corn or whatever they plant in this rural farming community.

I finally just got down right mean toward the little boogers.

Better have a replacement duct fund going. At the other home, I'm laying out set up for conventional home install for ductwork and water lines to elliminate this future headache there.

Nasty little critters, yes they are.

Robert
garrett_reukauf

Well got that lil project done! Kinda time consuming tho, trimming to fit. Used some of that duct work sealant stuff and then put that duct tape over all the seams when the sealant was dry. Not sure if it did any good tho, just finished last night so we'll see. I do notice tho, that since I did the one in the Master Bed/Bath, which is the last register in the back of the home, the Master Bed/Bath is like a darn sauna. Not sure if I like that too well. Seems to me it would make more sense to make these homes and have the HVAC unit in the CENTER of the home instead of more to one end or the other of the home. Just seems the Heat or A/C would be more balanced in the house, and not cold on one end and smoking hot on the other. Was gonna try a fan in the hall to maybe help push some of the warm air down to the other end but when the HEAT kicks on all that will do is blow more of the hot air back in to the return.
Robert

LOL, ain't that the way most things are in manufacturing ?

You don't think they want us to be happy with it do ya ?

Imagine doing this, not just on MH's, but conventional homes also for 28+ years.

No wonder I've lost so much hair and sleep.

MH HVAC airflow is trial and error and time consuming to find a acceptable balance at best.

Don't give up, you're on right path.

Thanks for update.

Robert
Richard

In forced airheat, the end of the trunk line should be aproximately 18" after the last run or register to creat "static pressure, so you don't get all the air / heat out of the last register.