Windows sweating

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

mac7273

Why do windows sweat? I was given a mobile home and all the windows inside the home sweat so bad the bottom part of the window frame's are rotting!

Mac
Demolition

It is like when you set a glass of Iced Tea on the table but don't use a coaster.
The air on the outside has moisture, just humidity. You have maybe heard the Weatherman talk about the DEWPOINT. It is when the Temperature when the DEW falls out of the air.

If you replace your windows, look into getting some fancy thermo insulated windows.

When you get a chance, have an electrician check out any electrical outlets that are under the window frame. The water sometimes causes problems with that.
Call Dinwiddie Demolition we'll tear that house right down.
Sweep up every splinter n haul it out of town
Greg

Hi & welcome. Window condensation (air leakage) is one of the more common problems of mobile home ownership. about the only way to stop it is to change the windows to a GOOD double hung window. Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
Yanita

Hi,

Window condensation is usually a problem with our homes.

Here are a couple things that you can do that might help the situation.

Make sure the caulk is good on the exterior of the windows, I also caulked in between them as well. If you have the traditional aluminium framed MH windows they are notorious for air leakage., hence the condensation problems, warm air meeting cold air.

Always make sure that when showering or cooking that your exhaust fans are running, allow at least one hour after each to get as much moisture out of the home as possible.

Also if you are using a vent less gas heater, or any type of gas/kerosene portable heater in your home these will also cause excess humidity.

If you have more moisture than you think might be normal you can also run a dehumidifier.

Hope this helped.

Happy Holidays,

Yanita
The difference between success and failure is who gives up first!
skunkman

mac7273 wrote:Why do windows sweat? I was given a mobile home and all the windows inside the home sweat so bad the bottom part of the window frame's are rotting!

Mac
i have the sweating window problem also.. i hope adding inside storm windows will solve the problem.

Adding inside storm windows may help reduce the condensation, but it won't eliminate it. Unless your inside and outside panes are completely air-tight (not really possible without sealed double-pane insulated windows) moisture will continue to infiltrate and cause sweating. Some things you can do are:
1.) use a dehumidifyer to keep the moisture in your home low
2.) make sure to always vent moisture from cooking and showering with a fan or open window (or both)
3.) open windows for several minutes a couple of times each day to expell the build-up of moisture in your home
I have jalousie windows and inside storms in my MH, but by using the steps outlined above have managed to keep condensation to a minimum. Replacing your windows with pre-hung double-pane insulated windows is the cure, but for many of us that route is not in the budget right now. Plus the benefits I derive from my jalousies in Summer allows me to put up with a little fogging in winter.
mac7273

Thanks for all your replies and advice. The MH was built in 1981 and has most of the original windows. The first thing I will do is seal the exterior of the windows and see if it helps.
Yanita

Hi Mac,

I believe it may be a little to cold to use an exterior caulking in your area right now.

Remove the interior windows and caulk around the outside window from the inside.

There is also a removable caulk that you can use on the inside of your windows that you can remove in the spring.

Yanita
mac7273

Yanita,
Yes, its a bit cold here now along with a few inches of snow!

I did try caulking the windows from the inside but the sweating from the window prevented the cualk from holding up. I did buy the all temp caulk that is rated to use above 25 degrees that I will try out once it warms up a little.

I have another question. I will be needing to add another exhust fan since I only have 1 in th MH. Can I just install any home exhaust fan? And do you know if it best for a roof or wall install.

The MH is a 1981 Libery 14x 60 I think. Thanks in advance.

Mac
Yanita

Hi Mac,

You can use regular vents. I have seen both wall and roof vents, as to which is a better application I can not honestly say.

Let me see if I can rattle some cages and get you some more help on this one...JD, Greg, Archie, Jim from Canada, Harry...help here please...

Happy Holidays,

Yanita
Robert

Hi,

If you are very handy, you can probably do a roof install. Otherwise, easiest would be a through wall design.

Would also be less chance of leaks with through the wall at this point with it being a new install.

Also want to add a note on sweating windows. IF you have gas appliances, that is also a sign of carbon monoxide leakage in home.

So good to get that checked as well for safety precaution.

Take care and best wishes,
Robert
Some people are Humbly Grateful, while some are Grumbly Hateful.................... Which one are you ?
mac7273

Thanks all for the help. You all are great!

I was thinking that the wall install would be alot easier to install and manage if there was a leak.

I will also get the furnace check out since it runs on gas.

I