duct work

Post all other heating and cooling questions here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark

kimmoore

I have Goodman packaged unit/heat pump(model #pck060-1) that is 5 tons and am trying to heat and cool a triple wide trailer that measures 76 x 46. Hot air is blowing from the unit through a 14 inch diameter tube that runs about 24 feet to a plastic box that splits off into 3 12 inch diameter tubes,the longest of those is about 21 feet.There seems to be adequate air pressure from the unit to the box,but greatly dissipates when it splits off into the 3 tubes.I've checked and checked...can't find any leaks or kinks in any of the tubing.Most of the tubing is lying on the ground.I have played with suspending parts of it..trying to get better air flow with no results.There is very little air pressure coming through the vents in the house and very little air sucking through the big return vent in the house.The tubes running from the return vent back to the unit are 10 inches in diameter and run about 31 feet in length.There is a fan on top of the unit that never cuts on when the heat runs..it does with the air.I've been told by multiple heat/air technicians that this is normal,but am suspicious since all are problems are always with the heat.Please help...I've already spent $500 on heat/air technicians to fix this problem with no results.I will have to cancel our family vacation...first one in 2 years if I can't fix this myself because my kids whose rooms are in the back of the house are freezing.Any advice is appreciated..Thanks, Kim
Yanita

Hi,

I am not a tech but I was wondering if you have replaced your filter in cold air return within the past 30 days?

Hopefully a tech will be along shortly, they are real busy this time of year.

Happy Holidays

Yanita
The difference between success and failure is who gives up first!
kimmoore

yes, ithe filter is fairly new.i cleaned it a couple of days ago,but can't tell any difference in the suction of the cold air return with or without the filter being in. thanks, kim
Yanita

Hi,

I have a Goodman unit as well but mine is a gas pack not a heat pump. With mine the fan that you are referring to does not run in the heat mode only the air mode.

Mark, (owner of the site) recently posted a link to heat pump info. The name of the thread I believe is "To much emergency heat" Maybe reading this you can gain some insight on your unit.

While you where under the home did you look to see if any of the flex pipes had come apart? I do know that your flex pipe should not be laying on the ground, all of mine is suspended from mesh type hangers. You need to have the flex pipe as straight as possible with the least amount of bends.

How old is your unit, I know that Goodman has a 10 year warranty on parts, and the first year you get free service....

Hopefully a tech will join this conversation soon, I am just trying to see if it is something small that I can help you with.

Happy Holidays,

Yanita
The difference between success and failure is who gives up first!
Richard

What you have described sounds like what the guy I used to work for called "distribution boxes" .
They would make a box out of ductboard and run a 10 inch pipe into it then four six inch out to two to four rooms as supply runs.
The inspectors didn't like them as they aren't as good as reducing wyes thereby eliminating the restrictions of air in the "boxes".
It sound to me like the third 12 is too much
Robert

Well, not sure if anything was done to resolve this, but just seeing it for first time.

Was this installed before you moved in at the home or did you pay for this install ?

If you paid $500 and did not get results that were satisfactory, they either owe a refund or a return free call.

If it is a Heat Pump, the condensing fan on top will run for heat, same as a/c until it around 35* or so usually.

With what all you described, I can say right now it is a bad install and will need an experienced person onsite to resolve or advise.

Not a fix that is readily available over the net.

I always wondered who named those boxes distribution boxes, didn't quite fit.

Thanks for inquiry,
Robert
Some people are Humbly Grateful, while some are Grumbly Hateful.................... Which one are you ?