windows question

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

betty_joanne

Replacing several windows and the sizing we got is 29 and 5/8 wide x52 and 3/4.
I can't find this size window online and it looks like this size would be about $80 a window and we have storm windows so it would be $160 each window.
So, i am thinking getting regular double hung house windows at home depot would be better since they would run $160 or so and i would only need one(i think)? I wouldn't need two would i?
So, is it easier to get a window smaller or get a window larger(and cut opening wider)?
Greg

I have always found that it is easier to larger, you will have about the same amount of work, but you don't have to find something to fill the gap between the old siding and the new window. Plus I feel that the more light the better! Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
betty_joanne

Also, wondering if any stores carry lots of sizes in stock or if i am stuck ordering from home depot or lowes.
Yanita

Hi Betty,

I am not certain how many sizes the stores have in stock, but you could certainly go to the websites of Lowe's or Home Depot.

You are making a wise choice going with traditional house windows. I really love our double hung, double pane vinyl windows. We went larger than what was here on a few of the them.

Definitely worth the investment even if you can only do a few at a time!

Happy Holidays,

Yanita
The difference between success and failure is who gives up first!
Greg

Betty, I saw a report from consumer reports a few week ago, they rated the Pella Pro line as a best buy. When I put them in our home they averaged about $200. Measure the existing window and check around to find what is close in size.
As I said before, I always go a little larger since it is easier to reframe than to try to find something that matches you siding to fill the gap. Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."