Poor electric heat

Post all other heating and cooling questions here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark

Lorne

Goodman PCK 036 A/C -3 ton with heat element.
36000BTU/cooling

Temperature of air from floor vent 80deg
Temperature at counter height 66deg.

Outside temperature 42Deg.

Not warming up inside like before.

Air has felt warmer in the past from the vents.

Are their stages in the electric element that may be not kicking in?

It was checked by dealer 2 weeks ago and they said the system was normal.

Any ideas?
1987 Craftsman Double Wide 42x28,w/attached 28x12 foot enclosed porch/ re-shingled 2 yrs ago. Original exterior vinyl w/no sheathing.
Robert

Hi,

Is it a packaged heat pump w/heat strips for backup or a packaged straight a/c with electric heat ?

If your heat is totally from the heating elements, yes they energize in sequence and may have one or more out.

Thanks,
Robert
Some people are Humbly Grateful, while some are Grumbly Hateful.................... Which one are you ?
Lorne

Thanks Robert.

Yes, it is a Packaged straight a/c with electric heat.
Some bad elements,That's what it feels like.
Got to call the man again.

Luckily I bought a little ceramic heater made by Pelonis from ACE Hardware. Pelonis got good ratings.

It will warm a room 12 X 28 ft just fine.

As soon as the sun comes up we're fine.
COME ON SUN.
1987 Craftsman Double Wide 42x28,w/attached 28x12 foot enclosed porch/ re-shingled 2 yrs ago. Original exterior vinyl w/no sheathing.
Robert

Hi,

It may be a bad sequencer not allowing power to get to one or more element.

Those ceramic heaters do come in handy at times.

Being from SC, I spent alot of time growing up at Murrells Inlet and Myrtle Beach.

Take care and best wishes,
Robert
Some people are Humbly Grateful, while some are Grumbly Hateful.................... Which one are you ?
Manitoba Bill

Robert; Regarding sequencers. I read somewhere that I could use #1819 28V lamps to allow me to see when my troublesome seq. were working or not. It would save me laying down on the floor and testing with my meter.

Do they have to be inserted in parallel with the 24V wire going into the 3 seq.?

Thanks. It would be nice to be able to easily see when one fails.
I'll take pictures if this works.

Update;
O.K. I inserted one lamp in the 24V line for a test and it does work to show when a seq. is off or on. I don't know if it kept the fan from coming on though.
[color=red]
I'm not an Expert, just a DIY[/color]
Robert

Hi Bill,

You must receive full power from t-stat 24vac signal in order for sequencer to work properly.

What the lamps do is give you ability to see each sequencer 24vac heater circuit as they energize on and off to see if sequence is correct.

You also judge the glow of lamp as to whether the terminals are getting full power.

It's 24vac, but as little as 23vac can sometimes not be enough, especially on a weakened sequencer.

You would connect across H1/H2, H3/H4 and so forth.

If yours aren't numbered, then connect across the bottom 24vac terminals at bottom so when the 24vac comes in it goes to the lamp.

If you get full power, lamp should glow brightly.

Hope this makes sense.

Thanks,
Robert
Lorne

Robert.
You said, "You must receive full power from t-stat 24vac signal in order for sequencer to work properly".

Should I investigate the T-stat with a VOM first?
Robert

Hi,

You can check at t-stat first if you want to. Test across R or RH and W with no call for heat.

You should read 24-28VAC.

Then have someone set t-stat to call for heat and watch to see if it changes to read 0VAC with call for heat.

IF so, then you need to see if you are getting 24-28VAC across H1/H2, H3/H4, etc.

Thanks,
Robert
Lorne

Thanks Robert.
Robert

You're very welcome.

Take care and best wishes,
Robert