Auto sensing light switches

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

I'm thinking about replacing out most of all the light switches to these automatic motion detector switches w/manual override to save on electricity. I don't know about you guys but my electricity bill averages about $50-$100 a month so every little bit helps.

Plus I hate getting up and turning off all lights that I have left on.

Anyone here using these? any problems?
Synthesis

Small animals will set them off. Cats, Dogs...

They work fine, if you have no animals of any kind. Do not expect the light to come on until you are past the door frame though.

No Cats or Dogs here, so I'm going to go ahead and give these a shot.
Manitoba Bill

I have used 2 sound activated switches for years. One at the beginning of the hallway turns on a table lamp. I can tap the wall at the far end of the hallway to turn it on.

The other is hard-wired in the back shed and turns on the outdoor deck light and also the inside light. Coming home in the dark I tap on the side of the shed b4 I get to the outdoor floodlight sensor.
Timed so I can unlock all the doors.

I also have a remotely controlled switch controlling a flood.
[color=red]
I'm not an Expert, just a DIY[/color]

Finally won a five pack on Ebay, so far I like them walk into the kitchen or washing room area lights on, walk out and then a few maybe a minute lights off adjustable from 5 sec to 20 mins, so far only install those 2 areas. Works off of infrared/motion detection. I'm getting spoiled with all these automation. Sure makes my life easier. Still have 3 left I'm thinking maybe Master bathroom lights and fan still deciding.

Just dremel the slot.
Manitoba Bill

Jim;
I've been looking around in case my old sound switches fail.
What # and maker of the ones in your picture. Cost and where to get them.
[color=red]
I'm not an Expert, just a DIY[/color]

Hi MB, I won these on Ebay they are made by GE PIR61 input 120vac Max load Flourescent 400w/3.3amps and incandescent 500w 4.1 amps.

There was a few sellers auctioning in packs of 10. I Won bid these for $41.00 for 5pc's.

http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-GE-Motion-Sensi ... dZViewItem
chasMB

Jim9298 said
I'm getting spoiled with all these automation. Sure makes my life easier. Still have 3 left I'm thinking maybe Master bathroom lights and fan still deciding.
hehehe Wait until you are in the shower some night all covered in soap and it times out. There are not a good idea for rooms where the entire room can not be seen from the light switch. Even the living room if when your sitting on the couch your hidden from view of the switch.