Gas fireplace - direct vent or vent free?

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

gram2logan

Is one or the other the preferred type for a mobile home? We are almost ready to make that purchase. It's going to be in our room addition on the front of the home. It will be the only source of heat for that room too - about 300 square feet. We have a guy from the fireplace store coming on Thursday to give us an estimate. They sell only direct vent types. I've also looked at our local building supply stores and they have vent free types. Looks like it's going to be expensive no matter which one we get. I'm also going to call our insurance agent to make sure we get the right one.

Thanks.....
Stop talking before people stop listening!
Greg

I would go with vented ONLY!!!
The manufacturers can say what they want about not being vented, but your life is hanging in their claim. Too many people are killed every year by carbon monoxide. Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
gram2logan

I fully understand what you're saying. But what if you had a carbon monoxide alarm in the room? Is there any other kind of fumes that could potentially get into the room??

Just thought of another question. If we choose the direct vent type, does it matter if it's vented out the back or through the roof?
klm9707

When we purchased our new home a year ago we had to sign a form stating we understood that if we put in a ventless heater, our warranty would be voided. They do not heat the homes evenly and cause too much moisture in the home. Also with the new energy star homes being sealed so tightly, I feel that it is a health risk. I think Greg is absolutely correct.
Mark
Site Admin

I was actually looking at an electric fireplace. I saw some 120V ones at Menard's. I'm not quite sure how they work, but they looked pretty cool. I also wanted to compare the 120V one to a 220V heater.

Otherwise I would not get a ventless fireplace. Do they still even make those?

Mark
You can't fail if you don't try!
mrfixit64857

Direct vent is your better option. They don't require endless chimneys or flues, and present a neat, clean appearance. I have one in our living room and one in each bedroom, so I can heat where I AM, rather than heating the whole house more than necessary. I realize they aren't CHEAP, but neither is a zoned central heat/air system, either.
Yanita

Hi Gram,

So far all info is correct. Definitely get the vented stove...as Greg said carbon monoxide poisoning is always a possibility.

Another posted about the condensation that is created in the home, this is also very true, and causes alot of damage over the course of time. Not to mention the big ugly yellow stains on your ceiling left from the unit.

Ventless heaters are also known to create health issues to those that live in the homes, namely upper respiratory issues, pnemonia, bronchitis, asthma, constant headaches....

For the extra dollars go ahead and get the best set up you can..you will certainly be glad that you did...VENTED!

JMO,

Yanita
The difference between success and failure is who gives up first!
chasMB

gram2logan wrote:I fully understand what you're saying. But what if you had a carbon monoxide alarm in the room? Is there any other kind of fumes that could potentially get into the room??
Most carbon monoxide alarms take more frequent maintenance than a smoke detector every year.... How long since you changed the battery in your smoke detector and tested it?
gram2logan

Actually, we just put new batteries in all our smoke detectors!! One of them started beeping - signaling a weak battery, so we replaced all of them.

I've done a lot more research on the vent-free gas fireplaces and I don't think we'll get that kind. I'm sure they are safe IF manufactured correctly and IF installed correctly, etc etc. Too many "if's" LOL

We should hear by tomorrow how much the direct vent one will cost installed. I'm guessing around $2000.