Differences between packaged heat pump & packaged unit.

Post all other heating and cooling questions here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark

betty_joanne

What are the differences between packaged heat pump & packaged unit? I am looking at only all electric models. Is one more energy efficient than the other? I am in the houton, tx area so there is high temps/mild winters and high humidity.
The goodman website says that the heat pump both heats and cools in one unit. I just don't get it. I do see that the heat pump only goes up to 13 seer and the packaged unit goes up to 15 seer.
Oh and is the Amana brand the same as goodman? The models look the same.
Robert

A packaged heat pump runs outdoor condenser unit all year and both heats and cools home. It has evap. a/c coil inside it as well. It also has emergency heat strips to help with heating when needed.

It is ALL in the outside unit.

A packaged unit is the a/c and furnace in same outside unit. Your outside unit condenser runs for a/c and the furnace for heat.

Evap. coil is outside in the unit as well.

The efficiency depends on seer rating and your climate.

Due to price of this investment, best to call 2-4 HVAC companies who offer these units for your type home and have them come out for onsite-in person consultation.

Amana is a division of Goodman Manufacturing, Inc. .

Take care and best wishes,
Robert
Some people are Humbly Grateful, while some are Grumbly Hateful.................... Which one are you ?
betty_joanne

Sounds good but we are not going to be able to have an outside unit due to the copper in the unit. We have our mh broken into the other day and the intotherm unit was stolen(we aren't living on the property yet cause not electric, sewer, etc. on the raw land). So, no way we will have one just sitting outside for someone to take for the copper. Yes, there was a fence and locked gate on property.
Robert

Hi,

Just wanted to add that a Packaged unit can also be JUST the a/c with condenser and evaporator coils in outside unit.

Seperate furnace inside.

Without an outside unit, you are narrowed down to either window units or portable units for the a/c.

Take care and best wishes,
Robert
Some people are Humbly Grateful, while some are Grumbly Hateful.................... Which one are you ?