Septic?

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

I'm really worried. We moved into our home not thinking to have the old owner pump out the septic. It's already full after two months and it reeks...I'm very, very worried and because I just lost my job we're dangerously low on funds. I'm starting a new job thankfully on Monday, but it's going to take awhile to get a paycheck.

I'm worried about an explosion, hazardous waste..etc. Is there anything at all we can do? This is a horrible mess!!!

:( :( :( :( :(
Harry

Hi

Sounds like the drain field may not be working.

If the septic company removes the lid and the tank full up to the lid then the drain field is not working....meaning it is stopped up and not draining. Pumping the tank will give you temporary relief.

Also an expert can probe the field and determine if the drain field is not working. Around here a drain field only lasts 15 - 17 years.

I have never heard of a septic tank exploding.

Harry
Aside from the roof leak, soft floors, rats, mice and bursted plumbing ........ how do you like it?
Yanita

Hi,

You can save yourself a few dollars with the septic company if you unearth the cover yourself, at least in our area you can. The cover is not down far.

In the meantime, obviously limit your water use...laundry, dishes, showering. Hopefully you have a place to go to do this.

Once your tank is pumped or the leach field repaired there are some preventive maintenance tips you should follow with a septic tank. There are specific toilet paper brands that are better to use with septic tanks, they break down quicker.

In the kitchen never use a garbage disposal, or rinse grease into the sink. These are bad for the septic system. Always scrape left over food into the trash can. I dump hot grease into an old coffee can, once solidified I then dump it into the trash.

There is a product called Riddex that is very beneficial to a septic tank. Septic systems differ today than they did many years ago. We have grown more accustomed to detergents, bleaches, sanitizers, disinfectants, and other harsh chemicals. These chemicals while helpful to us are not for the bacteria that lives in the septic tank that aids in the breakdown of waste in the tank.
Riddex helps restores the bacteria and enzymes that your tank needs to keep it self in better condition.

JMO, Yanita
The difference between success and failure is who gives up first!

Thanks for all of your replies. I know that septic tanks don't explode, but doesn't the waste break down and release a gas that CAN? Also, we're very, very careful with what we put down the drain and how much water we use. We know what they are and how they work, just not how to fix them :D Y'all are really helpful. Thanks so much!
Harry

Hi

I have not heard of a residential septic tank gas explosion.

Around here a septic tank pumping costs $100 - $150. This will buy you some time as you are getting quotes for replacing the drain/leach field....should that be necessary.

In my county the Health Dept issues the permits for replacing drain/leach fields. The size of the drain/leach field depends on the size of the home. My MH is a 3/2. I had our drain/leach field replaced about 1 year ago for $3,000.

Harry
Aside from the roof leak, soft floors, rats, mice and bursted plumbing ........ how do you like it?
Yanita

As Harry said, no they do not explode. We were only trying to alleviate the fears that you posted of.

Again, the leach field portion of your septic may not need replacing or repairs, simply that the tank is full can cause the back up into the home.

We really can not give you step by step instructions on fixing the problem, it will require a company to come and drain the tank and then see if there is any else wrong with the system.

Yanita
Harry

Hi

Yanita has some great tips on extending the life of a septic system.

Since we are addicted to Charmin toilet paper I looked it up on www.toiletpaperworld.com and it is biodegradable and thus safe for septic systems.

Also flushing grease and oils will plug a system up PDQ.

Harry
klm9707

Septic gasses will not explode as you have stated but they are not healthy if they are coming back up through the drain. We have a garden tub that we do not use, (we use the walk in shower instead) so once a week I run water through the tub just to make sure there is water in the trap.
Yanita

Hi folks,

I consider this post answered and will now lock it off. Should you have any further questions concerning septic tanks please begin a new thread.

Thanks,

Yanita