Heat tape extension cord

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

NancyKay

My outside outlet is not working. That is where I plugged in my heat tape. I was reading an article that said NOT to use an extension cord for heat tape. But that is what I was planning to do, knowing my outlet outside is not working. Not I don't know what to do? I was planning on using the big orange outside extension cord. Think it would still be ok?
NancyKay
Yanita

No, as the the manufacturer says, no extension cords.

Is the outlet you are trying to use a GFCI? If it is then make sure it has not been tripped, check the little buttons on it and make sure they are in the on position.

If it is not, then check your interior or if you have an outside GFCI outlet. Anyone of them can make your outside outlets not work.

If all the GFCI's are on then you should have the outlet checked as you have a short somewhere.

JMO,

Yanita
The difference between success and failure is who gives up first!
Mark
Site Admin

Yep, like Yanita said, if the outside outlet was working, and now it isn't, look for a tripped gfci button. It could be 'anywhere' in the house (bathroom, kitchen, laundry room, fuse box, etc).

Mark
You can't fail if you don't try!
Harry

Hi

The GFCI in my bathroom looks like this:

Harry
Aside from the roof leak, soft floors, rats, mice and bursted plumbing ........ how do you like it?
NancyKay

Thanks I'll look when I get home, I'm at work now. But it doesn't look like the picture above, it's like an older one I guess, a double one with the little flip covers that flip/snap over it when your not using it. I checked my circut breaker box and all are fine, and that's the only thing that's not working, and yes it did work till last year. The only thing that was ever plugged in it was the heat tape plug. And it's my only outlet outside, and of course it's on my opposite side of everything else. But I will look to see if a switch is on it.
NancyKay
NancyKay

The only one I have like the picture is in my bathroom also. And that one is fine. None of the other outlets have that. They are just plain.
NancyKay
Yanita

Hi Nancy,

The pic Harry posted is only for inside GFCI, the one you have with the cover is the correct one for outside.

He was just showing you what we were talking about for outlets to check inside.

Yanita
Greg

Ther are also GFI breakers, they are not too common but they do make them, so check the breakers also. They will say GFI on the face of the breaker if you do have one. Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
Maureen

Hi NancyKay, My outside outlet for heat tape looks like the one Yanita described, but, it is up under my home near my hot water heater (outside water heater closet). This is also the same area that my pipes come into our home. I have to get under the home and check this outlet each year, while I inspect my heat tape.

Have the outlet repaired. This is one area that you don't want to cut back on! Fire hazard, not to mention frozen pipes will cost you more in the long run!

Maureen
Never discourage anyone...who continually makes progress, no matter how slow.
'Plato'
Ketta

We also have an outlet just underneath our mobile near the water heater, and that's where we plug in the heat tape. Our other outside outlet is as Yanita described. Thankfully, my husband is an electrician and can fix these issues (and boy has he had to fix a lot...).

As others have said, repair your outlet. Using extension cords on a permanent basis is considered a fire hazaard in most cases, hence the warning on your package. It'll be worth fixing for the heat tape...even in the area I live in, we don't get a lot of freezing during the winter, but when we do the heat tape is GREAT.
Yanita

Hi NancyKay,

I consider this thread answered, should you have more questions please feel free to start a new one.

Yanita