carport addition

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

sonboy36

hey guys.thanks to all who replied on my last comment.I live in a 1998 28x60 fleetwood doublewide.I plan on adding an extra room and a carport so what I decided to do is to build a attached carport on the side and build that extra room on top of the carport.So my question is this;will that work and if so does anybody have any pics of what that might look like once it is complete?thanks
hvac1000

Wow with that kind of construction I would get a engineer involved. You have a very heavy imposed load on top of that carport area. You are also going to have to free air the area where the car comes into the car port. You are going to spend $$$ for laminated beams or steel to swing that area free. The next problem is what are you going to do where the mobile home meets the addition? The water has to go some where and you will have a wall there. This could create major water/roof problems.

This should be calculated by a professional and if you have a building department in your area it might have to be inspected.
God, grant me the serenity
to accept the things I cannot change;
the courage to change the things I can;
and the wisdom to know the difference.
Archie

I might check the local building codes first to see what they may have to say.
Experience is what you get after you need it.
Yanita

Hi,

Welcome to the site.

The folks above have given you the correct info. In alot of areas nothing is allowed to be attached to a MH, including a porch. Everything is free standing.

As stated above you should contact your local building codes office and see what they say, as well as your insurance company.

Good luck.

Yanita
The difference between success and failure is who gives up first!
Maureen

Hello,

I have to agree with the others on this one. We have pretty lax building codes in my area. I've seen some really crazy additions in my day, but nothing quite like you're describing. In my area, additions can not be attached to the home and they can not block an existing window in the home. That is a fire code thing here.

I'd really do my homework on this project before I even thought about it!

Maureen 8)
Never discourage anyone...who continually makes progress, no matter how slow.
'Plato'