Return after long absence - update

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

Hi folks. I haven't posted in a long time. I went back to work to help pay for all our remodeling.

To refresh your memory, we have an old 1968 mobile home that we've done a lot of work on. We had a new metal roof installed, replaced all the plumbing with pex, and painted the exterior. We've also painted all the paneling, first filling in the lines with joint compound, priming and painting. We also had a new AC installed last fall. We have saved a LOT on the electric bill - 950 kwh last month alone.

Last summer we remodeled the 2nd bath, replaced the floor around the toilet, new toilet and vanity. We left in the old metal tub and had it refinished. This summer we've been working on the master bath. It is 95% finished. We replaced the floor around the "rocking chair" toilet. I was luck to find the same (very expensive) vinyl tile that was already in place so I only had to re-tile about 10 tiles. It matches perfectly. We re-paneled all the walls, new vanity in, new toilet. Funny thing is, I was going to get a new tub, then decided to have the old one refinished. Then, after getting all the new stuff in, the old tub didn't look so bad. It is green, but for some reason, now looks quite nice. It is in good shape. Who knew? Now I'm not sure if I'll have it refinished. The only thing left to do is trim work and put up a few more ceiling tiles. We got Armstrong tin-look 12 x 12 inch tiles. They look great. I removed all the "rosettes" and the one wood strip from the ceiling and reinforced the original ceiling with many screws. The spare bath cost about $1500 and the master bath about $2000 to complete, doing all the work ourselves and getting most of our fixtures and supplies at Lowe's. I did have an electrician to have some wiring moved to accommodate the new light fixture and change the location of the light switch and plug outlet.

I've got to tell you though, that the Lowe's brand (RSI Elegance Estate) cabinets leave a lot to be desired. The linen closet was cracked. We didn't want to take it back as it weighs a ton, so we used metal screw-in clamps to hold it together long enough to install it (it's strong and secure now and the clamps are hidden). It was also put together with cams, which I usually find very easy to use, but these one's didn't match up too well and were a real headache. Then, the over-the-toilet storage cabinet (same brand/style) wasn't put together properly and one side was loose. We had to use a couple of screws there too. Filled them in and hid them with paint.

Then, another problem is the screws that come with the towel bars and the safety bar I put in. They are soft as butter. Someone remind me never to try to use them again, at least if they're going into a wall stud. Yikes.

Anyway, with all the trials and tribulations, I am absolutely thrilled with my new bathroom. Sometimes, even though it is not 100% complete yet (after this weekend it will be), I just go to the door and look at it for a while. I also don't want to turn off the light, so I can see it when I walk by. After 4-1/2 years with the ugly, nasty 1968 bathroom, I'm in heaven.

Oops. Another thing I forgot to mention is that the interior walls of this place have studs that are about 26 inches apart. Makes it interesting when you're trying to put up cabinets. We managed to get at least one stud and used anchors and lots of screws on the 2 wall cabinets.

Speaking of screws, I have discovered the joys of the "star" headed cabinet screw. Now, why don't they make all screws to work that well.

Be well mobile home repair/remodel people. :D
Yanita

Hi JuneB,

Welcome back!

Wow, you certainly have been busy.

Share all your repairs and renovations with us, you can either post the pics in the main photo album, especially the roof. You can locate that in the blue/grey task menu above. Please share all that you want, you can also create your own personal album in your profile space.

Good to have you back and hope we hear from you more often now!

Yanita
The difference between success and failure is who gives up first!

Thanks for the welcome back. I promise I'll try to post before and after photos, but I've go so darned much to do, it might take me a while. I didn't take any pictures during the project, but I figure there are lots of "floor repair" photos already available. The "after" is awesome - makes me feel like I moved in to a new house. I'm 67 and my DH is 68 now. I hope we can finish this up before we're 70. It's a little harder on the body than it once was. :wink:

Edit: I love your sig line. Ain't it the truth?
Greg

Wecome back June, I wondered what happened to you. Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
Harry

Hi June

I wondered about you. I thought maybe you hit the Florida Lottery!
or something.

Harry
Aside from the roof leak, soft floors, rats, mice and bursted plumbing ........ how do you like it?

Thanks Greg and Harry.

Lottery? Don't I wish. :lol: We keep trying, but the tickets keep winding up in the trash can.
Maureen

Hi June,

Great to see you back! Sounds like you've been really busy!

I understand working to remodel the house lol! I'm not around much anymore either. Last year, I was working overtime to help Ryan with tuition for college. He and Daniel joined the Army, so I can now get back to renovations instead of books and tuition.

Looking forward to seeing your new photos! Once I get underway, I hope to have the time to get my photo album going also!

Maureen 8)
Never discourage anyone...who continually makes progress, no matter how slow.
'Plato'