Need to remove a stripped Allen wrench-type plug from the OUT PRESS port on top of gas valve

Questions about repairs and parts for Nordyne furnaces, air conditioners and heat pumps for manufactured homes including Intertherm, Mac and Miller brands. Click here for Nordyne parts.

Moderators: Greg, Mark

Post Reply
Posts: 48
Joined: Mon May 31, 2010 12:32 pm

Need to remove a stripped Allen wrench-type plug from the OUT PRESS port on top of a Robertshaw 720-472 gas valve.

There are a couple of threads showing above the flat, horizontal surface of the valve body. I was thinking of trying to grab it with some type of pliers, but the metal seems soft and afraid I might do nothing but chew it up.

Thought about trying to force a flat-bladed screwdriver into it, but wondering if that would also do nothing but chew it up more when trying to turn it. The gas valve is 23-yrs. old per the date code. Afraid it might have been a little tough to remove even with the correct size hex key, before it got stripped.

I do have a replacement plug for the port.

Anybody have experience with this? Grateful for any help.
Posts: 5
Joined: Thu Nov 22, 2018 1:33 am

A little late to be helpful but for anyone else, you're best option is to order a strip socket for the size Allan head you stripped, either online or a tool truck if available to you. That being said neither is very convenient in a pinch. My suggestions would follow
Try upping to next closest size you have
Wrap the wrench in electrical tape once or twice
Use a slightly larger torx bit and lightly tap it in, do not hit it hard, if it does not easily tap in try a smaller size,
Another option is using a strip bit for Phillips head that's slightly larger than the Allan head.
Post Reply
  • Similar Topics
    Last post