How do I handle the dents?

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

darbynelson

Upon removing the mesh I put on, the tar with black mesh, something yellowish that looks like "fix-all", aluminum "paint" over more tar someone else did and something else that I don't know what it is other than it is light yellow and not hard I have another "issue". The edge of the roof is beat up real bad which, I think, is the reason for ALL the crap I've been scrapping off. Short of using an automotive dent puller I have no ideas how to deal with this. I've already come to the conclusion I will be replacing the j-molding there now with a seamless gutter if I can find one. I told the wife if we ever buy another mobile I'm going up on the roof before I do anything else. What a mess or as it says on Page 10-2 a real nightmare! I've considered putting new metal over the roof and although an idea worth thinking about that still leaves the issues of the dents and rust to deal with. Searching FAQ's didn't specifically address this.

Help!
Greg

I think I would at least price a roof over. It may be more cost effective when you figure in your time messing around.

Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
darbynelson

Here's the plan so please point out mistakes BEFORE I make them because after spending more than a few days on the roof a roof over is planned per your suggestion.

The "j" rail gutters are totally functional for an arid, I mean arid as in no rain what-so-ever and I want to have 4 or 5 inch gutters to get rid of all the water coming off.
Earlier I mentioned how bent up the edge is and what "their" solution was. Mine is to take it a step beyond what they did and goes like this and goes like this.
Basing all of this on preparation for the overhang the new roof will have: Use purlin to create a straight edge using the "high points" where the existing roof juts out which will give me an outside straight edge for facia/gutter attachment. This will leave gaps between the purlin and the existing metal that I will fill with some type of 50 year, flexible caulk to keep bugs out and use flashing, most likely screwed and caulked with Locktite S30, to cover/seal the distance between the flat of the roof and the outside of the purlin/facia. I plan on priming all the wood before I start and would like a recommendation on which one I should use.

I welcome thoughts.