One More Roofing Question for the Experts

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

rockncountry101

I hired a contractor that put up a metal roof over on my home. My home was pretty bad out of square and I've got about a 5 1/2" overhang on one end and a 10" overhang at the other end. What is the best way to trim that? He claims that he will pop a chalk line and trim it. I'm not sure of the tool that he will use but he says it's a powered tool that he will have to rent from a metal store. He claims that the edges will look just like they do now only it will be straight. Does anyone have any advice on what to use and whether or not it would actually work?
Greg

I think if it were me I would use a cut off saw. You could use a shear, but I am not sure how it would work on the raised ribs since you would need to follow the contours of the panels. They do make a panel shear that would shear the entire panel in one cut, but it would be impossible to use on the roof with the panel in place.

Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
rockncountry101

From what I understand you have to be very careful what you use because if you use the wrong thing then you void the warranty as it will burn off the coating. I've heard of nibblers and shears.
Greg

Anything that cuts the edge will leave a bare edge. I'm not sure what if anything that can be done about that.

Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."