cracks in ceiling

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

janmcle728

I have a 98 26/48 double wide that is developing hair line cracks in the ceiling.
The cracks start from the marriage line and extend out about 4 ft.
About a year ago I had a company come out to relevel the home, but they told me it was level.
the home layout has bedroom, livingroom and kitchen on one side. Then on the other side is bedroom, 2 baths, bedroom and ultilityroom. The first cracks started in livingroom ( now there are 3) then 1 in kitchen. There is also one in the first bath.
The cover piece for the marriage seam in livingroom has pulled away from the ceiling a little bit.
Also the floor at marriage seam has sunk maybe 1/8 inch at one end in livingroom( just enough to crack vinyl tile) and lifted up a hair at the other end.
What can I do to fix this problem?
The home sits on cement blocks on cement runners. Located in northern Tenn. Northeast of Nashville.
Thanks.
Greg

My first question is what did they use to level it with? A water level is the only accurate way to do it. If they used a carpenter's level I can guarantee it is off. I would recommend going under and checking things for yourself. Look for any cracks in the runner and shifted piers.
Mark (the site owner) has written a book that covers releveling and most of the common repairs, it's in the books & parts section of the site.

Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
janmcle728

Thks Greg,
As far as I know they only used a carpenters level. They did go under it and found one pillar loose, but I don't know if they found any more lose. I think they put shims in the loose one. I'm not sure if I can go under there and check out the runners because of back problems,that and the fact I'm a 66 yr. old female. I really don't have any males near here that can help.
I'll try to get under there in the next week. After I do I'll post back.
Another question I have is, what is the best way to paint the ceiling? They are popcorn ceiling.
Thanks
ponch37300

I'm guessing they didn't properly check or level it. Like Greg said they need to use a water level and check each pier. I'm guessing your home isn't level. I would try to find a different company to come out and check the level.

As for painting the ceiling you can try to fill the cracks with with a paintable caulk and then paint it.
janmcle728

Re: ponch37300.
I think painting it will fill in the cracks, they are only hair line cracks. Going to see if I can find someone to paint the ceiling for me. I'm going to be putting it on the market very soon and just trying to fix it up some.
Greg

Ok just so you know, we don't discriminate here. There are many women that have done LOTS of improvement jobs. All it takes is a willingness on your part, There are lots of people here and we can get you through most any job.

Greg
janmcle728

Re: Greg,
Thks, I know you don't discriminate, that is one of the reason I like this site. I have already done some improvement in my home. In the master bath and bedroom I have taken the wood strips off, taped and mudded seams, put up paintable wallpaper, painted and put molding around floors, doors and ceiling. MB also has a new vanity made from a dresser. In Kitchen I have removed the strips, taped and mudded seams molding on ceiling, doors and floor and painted. Not saying how long it has taken me.
Thanks
Greg

It's not a race!!! If it were I would be in some (more) SERIOUS trouble.
The point I was trying to get across it that you are only limited by yourself. There are lots of great people here always willing to help.

Greg
janmcle728

Re: Greg,
I totally understand what you are saying, I don't always express myself real good. Sorry about that. I do appreciate the help I have gotten from this forum. I have learned a lot over the years that I have been reading the post.
Thanks
thatswhoiam

not sure if this has anything to do with your problem, but I started noticing cracks in my ceilings a while back, and It was discovered that the home was sinking, or settling too much on one side due to water staying under the mobile home keeping the soil soft. all because of faulty gutters and no proper drainage from home was directing all rainwater straight under the home.

sometimes there's no known cause for the cracks......or maybe it could roof uplift from the wind. the important thing is that you noticed it......many people don't notice these things until its entirely out of hand.
janmcle728

Re:thatswhoiam,
I hope mine not sinking cause I live on a mountain, that sure would be a huge problem.
Anyhow thanks for info.
ponch37300

I would try to find a reputable company(Or do it yourself) to come out and check to see if your home is level. There is NO way that the other company could have checked with a carpenter's level. A water level is the only real way to check level of these homes. Even if you are selling it you still want to make sure you're not passing a problem off to someone else. Leveling isn't that hard and it's really everything for our homes. It makes sure all doors and windows open and close good, prevents most cracks, etc.
janmcle728

Re: pounch,
Maybe I can get a friend to help with leveling, there aren't any companies near me that I could contact. I have already checked, even stopped at a MH sales office in the nearest town that has more then we do here. Nearest big city is Nashville area and that is over 2 hrs. away.
Thanks
thatswhoiam

if the cracks in your home are progressing, it's very likely that the home is actively settling or sinking........if the conditions are present on the ground that cause this problem, it doesn't matter if its atop a mountain or mole. (hill)

significant settling is not usually a one time event, unless whatever is causing it has been remedied.

what does the ground under your home look like? is it dry, wet, or is there standing water there. check for any water leaks from pipes, a/c condensate leaking under home... also frequent standing water around the perimeter of the home. any automatic lawn watering spouts. what shape are your gutters in and where does the rain water from your roof spill onto?

just a few things to consider in finding the cause of your problem.

I wouldn't make any cosmetic fixes until you've figured out what is causing it in the first place.
janmcle728

Re; thatswhoiam,
The cracks are not getting any bigger, maybe a little longer. Noticed the first one about 3 yrs. ago. Have three on one side of marriage seam and one on other side. Have lived in home since 2004. It was placed on lot in 98 new. They are hair line cracks, I'm going to check under home as soon as I can. Thanks for the list of things to check.