Cooler and A/C

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

tmcbrear

What about using a window cooler at one end of my mobile, opening the doors at the other end to get flow through during the evenings.

During the day using the A/C in the traditional manner to save money?

Any reasons why this would not work?
JD
Site Admin

This could work but at some point you would be directing your energy bill out the door. Evaporative coolers work well for light duty cooling in dry climate areas. Pretty effective up to about 90 degrees. Then close up the hose, pull the blinds and turn on the AC.

I am going to make one of the ice chest AC units. Costs are almost nothing if you have a small old fan and an ice chest. you can make the vent out of pvc pipe fittings, dryer exhaust fittings or most anything you have that looks like these things.

For ice, I am going to freeze water in 2 liter bottles so I don't have to dump water and they will be easily replaceable. The videos I have seen says these bottles will last about 5 hours, pumping 42 degree air out the vent. Enough for me to get to sleep comfortably.

how about sleeping or cooling off while camping? Use a 12v fan and a car battery. Have to find a way to recharge. A solar panel charger might do the trick. For those with more tinkering skills, you could convert voltage to work off of discarded computer fans. Might need 3-4 fans to get a good flow, but now you have low voltage and super quiet. Duck blind? Oh yeah!

Well, here's the link to the "how to". I'll post pics of mine after I get it made. Got family visitors right now.

http://youtu.be/FaC0dlRENk0
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
☯JD♫
Today is PERFECT!

All information and advice given is for entertainment and informational purposes only. The person doing the work is solely responsible to insure that their work complies with their local building code and OSHA safety regulations.
jpingram5

Let us know how it works out! I have been seeing a lot of these cooler A/C's all over the internet lately. Something like this would be good if you loose power during a storm in the Summer time but yet have a generator. I'd believe the electric draw is pretty low.
2009 Skyline Sunwood Premier 14 x 80