PEX Tubing

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

steve129

JD wrote:I hope your repair guy comes back and makes it right but I would not have faith in him or his fixing of his shoddy work. He sounds like a two bit hack that makes if hard for real contractors that have put in the time and effort to be professional. Did you pull the permit or did he? If he had you pull the permit, he is probably not licensed and that would be illegal in California. Any mobile home repair guy with half a brain would not do shoddy work like that knowing it will be inspected. Any repair guy with integrity would not do shoddy work period, inspection or not. Sorry for the rant, but this is a very touchy subject with me. I am constantly repairing repairs from unlicensed and fly by night hacks. The customer's repair money, that they truly can't afford to spend, is thrown out the window.

My suggestion is to bite the bullet and have a reputable mobile home, licensed repairman finish the job. I would also turn the hack in to the license board if this is a service your state will pursue. They certainly will in my state when a consumer is damaged by illegal work.
I pulled the permit. He was recommended by the trailer park owner where I bought the trailer. He also did the transport. I know sometimes things don't go as planned and before you know it you're way behind. I hate the thought of looking for somebody new. As you say it will be additional money spent/wasted.
Steve129
jadedcusan

JD wrote:jadedcusan: PEx should not be installed outside the home exposed to the elements. Sunlight is the culprit. I have heard of people running the PEx inside galv or ABS to protect it from the sun, but I would suspect that an inspector would not allow it due to manufacturers instructions. Copper or galv would be my suggestion.
Thank you for pointing that out, I knew it but others might not.
I will have about a 15' run up the belly from main to washing machine area mostly center and bring it in where outlet for heat tape is. That plus skirting equals 0 direct sunlight and I will be encapsulating somehow (not sure yet). Currently running a main & branch off the hot water tank (shower separate) with ball valve shut offs everywhere. The stuff is attached along ceiling currently as I'm ripping up floors. I hope to figure a way to put the line at chair rail height with soffits but water over electric outlets scare the bejeepers out of me. When I moved to what the locals call "East Jesus" I quickly learned they indeed do things different here, better chance of a 50 year old virgin in my yard than an inspector. Over loaded electric done with "Scotch" tape :shock:. If I had a lick o sense I'd run for my life!
b.t.w. I undid that electric nightmare 1st thing! That is one place for a pro!
"But he that dares not gasp the thorn ~ Should never crave the rose."
'Anne Bronte'
JD
Site Admin

It is possible that I was a bit harsh about your set-up guy, but I was enraged by the type of mistakes made. I have been dong this kind of work a long time and envisioned what the inspector saw. Being able to move an anchor plate easily and loose straps are obvious when doing the work. Specifications on where to place X bracing is very easy to come by. Hopefully for you, I just didn't fully understand the situation.
☯JD♫
Today is PERFECT!

All information and advice given is for entertainment and informational purposes only. The person doing the work is solely responsible to insure that their work complies with their local building code and OSHA safety regulations.
steve129

JD wrote:It is possible that I was a bit harsh about your set-up guy, but I was enraged by the type of mistakes made. I have been dong this kind of work a long time and envisioned what the inspector saw. Being able to move an anchor plate easily and loose straps are obvious when doing the work. Specifications on where to place X bracing is very easy to come by. Hopefully for you, I just didn't fully understand the situation.
I'm probably too easy on the guy. I was underneath the home today removing the old copper pipes and noticed I could see daylight between the frame and one of the pier blockings. He did tell me the tongue tie-in prevented him from installing one of the lateral braces to specifications. He had to go to the next pier which put it out of specifications. I looked at it again and found his point valid. I will speak to the Ohio mobile home commission and see if there is a variance concerning the brace.