What to do with skylight hole, ideas?

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

countrygirl4513

We had a metal roof put on our doublewide, eliminating the skylights.While I'm glad their gone it leaves an ugly reminder they were there, the deep ceiling holes. Any ideas what to do besides replacing drywall sheet, that is just too much too fool with.
opinion free

I'm kind of storage crazy. If the hole is in the kitchen, I would put a pot rack up and hang things, like plants or pots. Another idea I'd try to make work, is to put a shelf or drawer up there and fill it with seasonal stuff. I would love to have a hanging hat/coat rack, depending on where the hole is. Since it was a skylight, and it already is a recessed hole, perhaps you can put a real light in it's place. If the area is dark, you could always make an inexpensive frame for the perimeter of the hole and put a mirror up there to bounce light around.
Good luck and please share whatever you decide to do with it.
Greg S

You could trim out one of those plastic fluorescent light covers in the hole. No need to actually install a light just make it look like one.
An individual must enforce his own meaning in life and rise above the perceived conformity of the masses. (Anton LaVey)
countrydan

I would insulate the opening and cut some white foam board to kinda match the ceiling color. Then trim the foamboard (like science fair foamboard) a hair longer in a few spots and push into opening so it follows the ceiling contour.

It there are gaps you are unhappy with buy some white insulation tape (looks like white duct tape with reinforcing strands in it) and trim out the opening..
Steve-WA

Acoustic ceiling tile
Norm Frechette

build an internal frame, insulate the cavity, patch up the hole with dry wall, mud the joints and paint/texture the patch to match the current ceiling
1987Commodore

Install electricity for a couple low wattage bulbs, and cover the opening with a translucent or stained glass panel for an accent light or night light.