Under sink drip tray with PEX pipe in the way

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

nestsman

Has anyone come up with a good way of catching drips under a sink? I found some drip trays online but they don't take into account that some people like me have PEX pipes coming up through the floor. Therefore, I can't lay a normal drip dray on the bottom of the sink cabinet.

Thanks!
Greg S

What exactly is dripping and why would you not simply stop/repair the drips.
An individual must enforce his own meaning in life and rise above the perceived conformity of the masses. (Anton LaVey)
ponch37300

A drip tray? Is this like putting a pan under a leaky ceiling? Sinks are pretty simple and if there is a leak I would try and find it and fix it. Usually something easy and cheap to fix.
Norm Frechette

fix the leaks in the pipes. no more drips
nestsman

Greg S wrote:What exactly is dripping and why would you not simply stop/repair the drips.
The pex valves under the sinks have minor leaks. I plan on fixing these for sure with new valves, however, I was just planning ahead in case they start to leak in the future. This is why I was considering a drip pan.
ponch37300

The problem with that is that if it leaks the water will most likely run down the pex, so drip tray won't really work. If there is a major leak it will just spray, so again drip tray won't do much. If anything I would just put some old towels down around everything.

What exactly is leaking on the valve? What kind of valve is it? If it's where the hose going to the faucet connects then you can try to tighten that. If it's where the handle is depending on what kind of valve it is there is a nut you can tighten to tighten the packing inside. The pex connection usually doesn't leak.

I love working with pex. In this case I would just go buy a new valve and shut the main water off and have a new valve installed in a matter of minutes. A pex crimper is something you won't use much but if you have pex it is something you should look into so repairs like these can be done easily. The crimpers have come way down in price as the popularity of pex increases.