Bathroom mirror difficult to remove

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

nestsman

The top of this mirror has some plastic mounting hardware. But the bottom of the mirror, shown in this photo, is different. It feels like it's permanently mounted in this metal piece. I didn't pry very hard because I didn't want to break the glass. What is the best way to remove the mirror with this thing on the bottom?

Thanks!
mirror.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
HouseMedic

It looks like the type that you take something out at the top like a screw or a clip and then you lift or slide the mirror up out of the track on the bottom and then you will see screws holding the bottom track on the wall. The bottom screws are behind the mirror that is why you slide it up.
Or if that does not work you might try sliding the mirror out sideways.

Ron
JeffInFL

it looks like it would lift right up out of that track. It's possible whoever installed the mirror put some type of sealant or adhesive in the track before dropping the mirror into it. With the top hardware removed, try to lift just the top left or right corner straight up .. almost like rocking it up and out of the track.
ponch37300

I've seen some glass installers put a few dabs of adhesive on the wall behind the mirror before they stick the mirror in the bottom track. Then screw the top clips on. Once the adhesive dries the mirror can't accidently come off if the clips come loose or break. If this is the case it's going to be pretty difficult to take the mirror out. If there is no adhesive the mirror should come right out of the bottom track. Take the top clips off and gently pry the top out with something, just be really careful. You shouldn't have to pry hard at all unless there is adhesive behind it. If there is adhesive behind it you have two options as far as I know. One would be to smash the mirror to get to the adhesive to try and cut thru the adhesive. Second would be to cut the drywall around the mirror and see if you can take the mirror and drywall off as one piece. There will be some screws in the metal track into studs that might make that hard.
Greg

A piece of piano wire snaked between the wall and glass will let you saw through the adhesive similar to removing an auto windshield. make sure to tape the glass first "Just in case".

Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
Steve-WA

Because, of course, we've all removed auto windshields...
Greg

Steve-WA wrote:Because, of course, we've all removed auto windshields...
For those of you that haven't, It's about the softest, stickiest, hard to cut goo you have ever work with. The average automotive windshield has a wide bead about 12' long.

Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."