Flooring

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

Yardpilot

The floors in this 40 year old double are linoleum over what appears to be 5/8" particle board. The walls and partitions are all built on top of the linoleum. As I rebuild walls, should I strip away the linoleum under the new boards, or just do it like the original? My inclination is to remove the old linoleum. The current floors are the ugliest linoleum in the history of mankind, covered with dreadful carpet. Added later, the carpet is just cut to fit, not actually fastened down. It's coming out. We anticipate going with mostly vinyl or vinyl tile Should we attempt to strip the linoleum?
JeffInFL

Are you keeping the old linoleum and carpeting over it? if so, I would keep the sections under the walls as well. I figure it would prevent any water from getting 'under' the linoleum if you happened to spill something in that area. I asked a similar question about keeping old linoleum, and someone mentioned keeping it if it's in good physical shape as it will help protect the subfloor from water damage.

The previous owner of my place had a dog peeing everywhere, so I removed the old linoleum and sealed the floor with Kilz. I also removed old linoleum under the walls that I rebuilt.
1987Commodore

The sheet vinyl in our kitchen needed replacement, but it was glued down. The installer put underlayment over it,because the surface would have been too rough with the glue residue. It wouldn't hurt to leave it in place under the c-walls.
Greg

Get as close to the wall as possible, but don't go nuts. Molding will cover anything that may show.

They put the vinyl down before the walls.

Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."