Moving an electrical outlet

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

RickW

I am going to move an electrical outlet in a 1987 Victorian Mobile Home. I believe the current outlet is a 15amp GFCI with 14/2 wiring. Was this the norm for wiring back then?
ponch37300

The site limits the electrical and gas questions.

15 amp receptacles should have 14 gauge wire. I'm assuming you are planning on adding wire to move this outlet? You can't just splice in the walls, any splicing has to be in an approved junction box and accessible. If you aren't sure about this please consult an electrician.
RickW

Oh I'm sorry I didn't know the limits. I realize you can't just splice into the wall. My concern was that I thought bathrooms were supposed to be 12/2 wire with a 20 amp GFCI. I was surprised to see the wire and GFCI that I mentioned earlier.
Greg

We try not to give specific advice in the Gas & Electrical areas. Our thoughts are that if you are not 100% sure of what you are doing, call a pro. No one here want an injury or worse because of some bad information.

There are MANY times that I question possible code violations the way they build things. I had NO GFIs in the kitchen and our's is a '91.

And I still personally feel that the modular switches & outlets used in mobile homes should be Banned.

Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
countrydan

RickW wrote:Oh I'm sorry I didn't know the limits. I realize you can't just splice into the wall. My concern was that I thought bathrooms were supposed to be 12/2 wire with a 20 amp GFCI. I was surprised to see the wire and GFCI that I mentioned earlier.
I may be pushing it here but to clarify,

If the breaker is 20 amp than you are correct on 12 ga... If its a 15 than ponch is correct. Most likely it's a 15 amp And code states 14 guage and be sure of your ground also... But electric and gas is nothing to mess with if one is not sure... Get a licensed electrician and sleep well...