Good place for a water main shut-off

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

nestsman

Soon I will have a friend help me trench my water line with his backhoe. Where do most people put their shut-off valves? In the water heater compartment? I'm guessing that I will want it easily accessible so that it can be reached during an emergency. Right?

Thanks!
Greg

You want it in a place that you can get to fast in the event of a major leak. Our's is under the kitchen sink.
When it comes to the valve I recommend a 1/4 turn brass or stainless ball valve, or a brass GATE valve (no stop valves since they use a rubber washer). Plastic body valves often fail when you need them the most so don't cheap out here. If you are not sure of the valve types, you can google them and get good pictures of the types.

Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
Greg S

I prefer to bring my main into the home under the bathroom sink. Makes for a short run to the hot water tank.
I also have a line shutoff under the bathroom sink leading to the outside tap. This makes for easy draining of the outside line in the fall.
An individual must enforce his own meaning in life and rise above the perceived conformity of the masses. (Anton LaVey)
JD
Site Admin

There should be a water shutoff before the plumbing goes under the home or near ground level if the line actually comes up under the home. From here, I run 3/4" pipe to the water heater where it splits to cold water feed to the home and to the water heater. On the way to this "T", a person could divert this 3/4" line to a bathroom, utility room or spot of your choosing for an additional "main" shutoff valve.
☯JD♫
Today is PERFECT!

All information and advice given is for entertainment and informational purposes only. The person doing the work is solely responsible to insure that their work complies with their local building code and OSHA safety regulations.