Baseboards over wall panel covers

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

nestsman

I want to add baseboards to all the rooms, but the trim that covers the wall panel seams will be in the way. What is the best way to deal with this? Take each one down, cut off the needed amount, and then put them back on? Take them down and putty the seams, thus getting rid of the need for the covers? Use a special tool that vinyl install guys use to cut the extra length off from door trim without having to remove the trim? Any suggestions are welcome and appreciated.
panelCovers.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ponch37300

I'm not sure what the special tool is you're talking about? But I would mark all the trim pieces where they will need to be cut, keeping in mind to leave room for whatever flooring you are going to be using. Then take a putty knife and gently pry up the bottom of the trim so you can get the putty knife behind where you need to cut. This will keep from cutting into the drywall. Then use a multi tool like this, http://www.amazon.com/Dremel-MM20-03-12 ... +multi+max, sold under many different brands, and cut the trim. You could also probably use a hand saw if you don't have one of those tools. Then gently pound the trim back on. This would be the quickest and easiest in my opinion. Don't have to take it all the way off.
1987Commodore

Or you can cut it in place with a utility knife.
Greg S

I did an entire house this past winter.
Place the molding on the floor against the strip to locate the cut line. Mark lightly with a pencil and cut with a utility knife. Pushing the tip of the knife straight into the strip works easier than drawing it across the strip. Your trim will cover any marks in the wall providing you stay on the pencil line.
If the strips have been painted over run the knife up both sides of the cut off piece to make removal easier, hammer in any nails left in the wall where the strip is removed
An individual must enforce his own meaning in life and rise above the perceived conformity of the masses. (Anton LaVey)
HouseMedic

Like ponch37300 states above, You can use an "Oscillating Tool" they work great. You might be able to rent one but if you know someone that has one it will make things a lot easier. If not a utility knife does work you just have to take your time and be careful.

Ron
ponch37300

You can pick up an oscillating tool at harbor freight for around 20 bucks if it's something you won't use much, http://www.harborfreight.com/oscillatin ... -8493.html. Probably not the greatest quality but it should be fine to cut some trim pieces.