Eight legged things...

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

LisaBoyer

My husband thinks I'm nuts, and he could be right.

We live in a warm, dry climate (I know, most think all of WA is wet and soggy, not so!)...this promotes spiders in dark places. Like under the house. So far, we have not had real issues, but without any freezing weather this year, they will be out in force. No mention of this on any of the manufacturer labels, so I hope someone knows here on this forum.

Can I toss a bug bomb under the house? Is there danger of the fumes creeping up into where we live? Before I wipe out the entire family, I figured I should ask. The plumber crawled underneath for a repair and said there were webs. If the bomb is not a good idea...mothballs? Is there anything that can be used to keep critters from taking up residence beneath our feet?
1987Commodore

I believe there are insecticides you could spray around the skirting that leave a lasting barrier. Fumes from a bomb could come in through holes in the hvac ducts and where pipes come through the floor, but penetration into the interior would be minor. Also, if you have gas hot water, the intake is underneath. Gas furnace could draw from underneath also. You could set off the bombs, making sure all pilot lights are out, (they can ignite the vapor) and vacate the place for a couple of hours. Really, just use the same precautions listed on the can as if you were setting them off inside.
Greg

Nuts?? I doubt it. Paranoid perhaps. You are always going to have insects, you need to have tight skirting with NO holes or gaps to keep the larger critters out. They are the ones that do the damage.

Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
RiverGirl

My 2 cents - use anything but mothballs! I'm dealing with mothball odor that just won't go away. If there is any tiny crack, the odor will seep into your trailer.