New to the forum...and the MH scene...and a bit concerned!

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

Jim from Canada

Well Yanita, good work again. It gives me an idea, but I would like to see what others think of it before suggesting it. Replace the wood beams with steel. It would involve a bit of work to shore the place up, remove the wood beams, install the steel ones (attaching to underside of home) and then put it all back on proper blocking, level. Or, maybe paralam beams? Are they OK exposed to the weather they will get?

Jim
tanmar

been a while since i posted...been swamped with work and christmas!

Thanks for all the reply's though.

As for the manufacturer and type of home i am in...it is a mini home. The website is http://www.kenthomes.com/

I would be classified under the 'Signature 1' series...even though it doesnt look alot like one. Has the basic pitched roof, windows, etc, etc...nothing fancy! :)
tanmar

When i moved in in July of last year, i managed to find the paper floor plans from the manufacturer all rolled up and stuffed into the electrical box (of all the stupidest places to store flammable material). That will show you exactly what kind it is. I will bring them into work tomorrow and scann them and post for you to view. As you will see...just a basic 3 bedroom mini home built in 2000... :)
Dean2

The water has to go and then be kept out,the more moist the ground the more it will expand when it freezes..You can dry it out some come summer but the rest will have to drain down thru the soil..Here the frost line goes 3'-4' deep in the open,,less under a mobile cause it is somewhat protected. Ground frost will also go horizontal and push inward from outside the perimeter..Having the blocking inwards farther might have helped keep some of the frost from outside penetrating under far enough to cause as much heave.

Get it dry and keep it dry under there and hold off on any movement sensitive remodel till it's dealt with and proven to be better during another winter..

The raising cieling could be the trusses shrinking/expanding,,it happens in stick-built homes too,,or it could be blocking related as theorized..The 1st time I heard of it We had built a 1-story condo,,later the *Mayors'* unit had the cieling pull up and away from the interior walls! Twice! 2 winters running! We invaded to fix it both times disrupting Her home as little as possible..The explanation to Me was "new growth lumber" used to build the trusses,,this was in the early 90s tho..I would guess that the bigger the trusses the more it will lift from the interior walls. The condo was wide with a 4-12 maybe 5-12 pitched roof,it lifted an inch or so both times till the Carpenters finally fixed it ..

That's My guesses,,Yer skirting prob is blocking/frost related and Yer wall/cieling problems are truss related..Get Your foundation in proven good order then go from there..

I have 3 year old piers with the anchor bolts set in the crete,,The frame is chained down to these at certain points and I built a wood framed steel sided skirt..I thought this combo might cause probs when/if the skirt heaved but the piers stayed put below frost..So far (3rd winter) just a little creaking but no damage here in NE IA..I did use 2x2 skirt frame wich is less area for the frost to push up against. I'm also on sloped ground with even higher ground within 100' and when it rains hard enough I get water underneath too from runoff..Am considering drainage tile on the problem side and ends. That means adding rock on top tho and I HATE gravel in My grass!

Dean
tanmar

and i'm wondering if the moisture issue is what may be causing the amount of movement. When i moved in in July...there was a tone of water underneath the home. I have no idea how long this was there or how long it had been going on, but its probably safe to assume since it was placed on the lot...so 7 years. After moving the crusher rock and leveling underneither to take up the space the water was occupying, and including creating drainage on one side of the home...i noticed a huge difference in the water under the home after large rains...it was 0...couldnt see any. So...after 7 years of water always being under there and now there isn't, i'm asuming the ground is finally settling, thus the shifting i am experiencing.

Here is a floor plan of my mobile that came with the house when i moved in that i found.
[albumimg]1019[/albumimg]

Should show that this is a mobile and not a modular.

Thanks for everyones help by the way. Being a first time home owner, and everyone chiming in has really placed my anxiousness aside. Much appreciated knowing that this is somewhat normal and expected with these homes.