Removing a wall

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

cottonlily

I'm a newbie here, but I'm so glad I found this post! My husband and I are thinking of doing the same thing as the OP. His biggest concern, besides the fact that he'll have to do some work :wink: , is that the roof will cave in. I've tried explaining to him that in a single wide the sidewalls are the only load bearing walls (our ceilings are all the same height throughout).

All the tips and suggestions here were very helpful!
garrett_reukauf

phelpcd1 wrote:Image

I'm hoping this works......if so, you can see on the ceiling where the wall used to be, and the new wall that went in several feet further. You can see how we covered the remaining boards to appear more decorative. We also put in a nice vinyl tile floor too.
That really turned out nice! I notice the wall didn't go all the way to the ceiling, kinda gives it a "loft" feeling. Nice Job! When can ya'll come do mine LOL!
76artcraft

Hi,
Just as phelpcd1 had said...watch out for the nails on the top that were nailed in from on top of ceiling(must have been before the roof was put on) into the wall frame. I wasn't expecting them there and I took out a good chunk of my ceiling (well 4" x 4"), because I thought I could just pull the nail out through the ceiling. I think I cut the ends off the nails, then poked the rest up into the ceiling.

And I would really recommend using a good face mask with a filter or even a respirator kind, Because whatever the ceiling panels are made of is nasty stuff (it can really get into the lungs). It seems like it's made out of a very fine fiber glass insulation like stuff...and I wouldn't surprised if there was asbestos in it. Well at least that's what I experienced in my 1971.

Good Luck
Sam
Harry

Hi

I agree with Yanita ... Mark's Repair Manual is a valuable resource.

I use it all the time.

Good Luck and Happy New Year!

Harry
Aside from the roof leak, soft floors, rats, mice and bursted plumbing ........ how do you like it?
phelpcd1

Thanks garret!!! Yes, the new wall we put up does not go to the celing. We didn't want to touch the ceiling - put nails or screws in etc. We were unsure of how the roof is built and didn't want to cause any damage, so we decided to make the wall as you see it. We put a ledge on the top plate so you can set plants or whatever up there, but I don't use it for that.