Anyone know about oakwood homes?

Whether it's NASCAR or your family vacation, talk about anything here!

Moderators: Greg, Mark, JD

mopower440

Back in 2000, we bought a double wide from oakwood homes, the company that made the home was Destiny industries, wich was owned by oakwood. Oakwood no longer exists as they went bankrupt and i have read hundreds of horror stories about them on the net. We have been in the home 7 years now and it has held up fine. I have always wanted to know how oakwood homes compared to the rest as far as how well they were built. After all the horror stories ive read it really makes me wonder. Any of you owned one or worked on one or know?
thanks!
Yanita

HI,

Welcome to the site,,

LOL, yes I used to own a singlewide Oakwood. I did not have any problems with mine, but preventive maintenance comes into play regardless of what brand of home you have. Yes, some are "better" than others.

For every make of home there is probably a website that is nothing more than complaints about the home. When everything is good, there is nothing to complain about.

Construction of these homes also depends on the area in which they are destined to go, a home built for the north is stronger in several ways, it has to accommodate for heavy snowloads, homes in my area have to have certain wind ratings due to hurricanes...

Do you have specific questions you want answered? You will probably get several opinions. Some folks swear that the new homes are built better, others say the older homes are the way to go..for me, I personally like my 35 year old Mansfield doublewide better than when I bought my 97 Oakwood new. This home is truly built stronger....

JMO,

Yanita
The difference between success and failure is who gives up first!
mopower440

nothing specific, i just know that they did go bankrupt and no longer exist so i was wondering if the homes were indeed questionable. I always wondered how oakwoods stacked up against the competition regardless though, anyone know?
Greg

I personally don't know about Oakwoods, but the product quality and bankruptcy don't always go hand in hand. As Yanita said maintance is the key with any home. Greg
Last edited by Greg on Fri Oct 12, 2007 8:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
Harry

Hi

I agree with Yanita and Greg.

Also site prep and installation is a factor.

There is a publication for sale that ranks manufactured home construction. Oakwood is listed. I don't have it but here is a link:

http://www.mobilehome.net/JGrissim/Ratings-more.htm

Harry
Aside from the roof leak, soft floors, rats, mice and bursted plumbing ........ how do you like it?