on site chat room

Whether it's NASCAR or your family vacation, talk about anything here!

Moderators: Greg, Mark, JD

Busybee1952

Anyone interested in a chat room on site? Just to visit with each other when online at the same time?
With courage you will dare to take risks, have the strength to be compassionate and the wisdom to be humble. Courage is the foundation of integrity ..... Nair, Keshavan
JD
Site Admin

Hi Pat,

Since Mark owns this website, I would think that would something to ask him. I would imagine he has considered it and he is certainly capable of making one. It would need to be closely monitored for content and the moderators are already kept pretty busy watching forum posts, registrations, and picture uploads.

JMO
JD
☯JD♫
Today is PERFECT!

All information and advice given is for entertainment and informational purposes only. The person doing the work is solely responsible to insure that their work complies with their local building code and OSHA safety regulations.
Mark
Site Admin

I think people are reading our minds!! We've actually been looking at such a room with webcam capabilities. By entering the room, you can chat with anyone and view one person on webcam. However, if you pay a 1-time fee, you then have the ability to view up to 100 webcams at one time, and can even adjust the size of the image (small to almost full screen).

Right now we're trying to determine whether or not we put the chat room on our server, or link to another server. Bandwidth becomes an issue when you start working with video.

Mark
You can't fail if you don't try!
Yanita

Hey,

I am not opposed to this idea...might be kinda cool to chat with others on a more personal level.

BUT, as a very active moderator to this site I gotta ask what this will mean to us? Hey Mark, why don't you shoot out an email to the mods and let us know what you are thinking....

Yanita
The difference between success and failure is who gives up first!
Busybee1952

Sometimes, when I'm on the site and notice some of the other names I recognize are also browsing the site, it would be nice to just say hi and ask how it's going without having to send a personal message which seems just a little forward if it's someone you don't really know very well. We all have mobile homes and somewhat of a do-it-yourself attitude in common to begin with or we wouldn't be here. It's great to talk to people from all over the country and because this is a private site, I think there would be a lot less to worry about than in other chat rooms. Rules would be appropriate of course to protect all of us and make it a nice place to visit. I think some good friendships could develop.
With courage you will dare to take risks, have the strength to be compassionate and the wisdom to be humble. Courage is the foundation of integrity ..... Nair, Keshavan
Susan

I think the chat room idea is terrific. It has my vote.
Susan

Accept that some days you're the pigeon and some days you're the statue
Mark
Site Admin

I'm still learning about the program that I've stumbled upon, but I'm hoping that the room would be self-policing. For instance, I think anyone can click a button to kick out a rude person for 15 minutes. I'd have to look into it more. It wouldn't take me long to set-up. Maybe I can work on it later tonight. Wed night & Thur I'll be gone all day to a furnace school.

I know my moderators stay plenty busy with regular website stuff, so I'm hoping not to add to their workload. So if the room does get busy and need more policing, maybe I can assign 'operator' status to other good members who like to visit frequently. But for now we're going to try the self-policing poly and see how that goes.

Mark
You can't fail if you don't try!
Jim from Canada

I remember when we used to get together and chat. It was great! It doesn't really require the video. I think that would only slow it down with the bandwidth requirements. Oh, the good old days! lol

Jim

Personally, I would hate to see this site go from such a great reference and advice site for mobile home owners to just another place to socialize on the web. No matter what the original intent and subject of the chat rooms I have visited, they always seem to disintegrate into the constant policing of rude interlopers who's only purpose is to disrupt things. This is one of the few message boards I know of where everyone is actually polite an on subject, most likely due to your great bunch of moderators. I suppose with great diligence you might prevent it from becoming like every other chat room out there, but it will be a full-time job for whoever is appointed to keep things civil. I would certainly enjoy chatting in real time with some of the folks who have provided me with so much great information in the past, but at what cost? JMHO.
Greg

It might not turn into the nightmare that Wayne describes if we were to have limited hours that it is open like it was before. I would reccomend moving the "open hours" around, it seemed before that it was from 9-10 cst, Many of us on the east coast are ready for bed, but I understand in the west it is still early. Possibly changing the hours depending on the day of the week. Just a thought, Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
macmom

I would love a chat room. dont have a web cam but can certainly get one.
I dont work, am home most of the time(between drs visits), dont mind volunteering to help keep it clean, and respectful.....just a thought.