Backer for gas log stove

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

diasbox

I have a gas log stove which vents to the outside. It sits in a corner of the livingroom between two large, single-pane windows. I want to install some sort of backing on the walls behind the stove to deflect heat into the room away from the windows.

Anyone have experience with this? Thanks.
Dia
altasnowman

Hi diasbox,
you could use a alumimum sheet or stainless mounted on a frame that would be set behind your stove on a angle to reflect the heat back into the room. think of a portable room divider but use metal instead of cloth.
The dirtyist word in the dictionary CANCER....it takes many too soon and leaves nothing but anger and pain. We all mourn the loss of those that have succummed to this......
diasbox

My worry is that if I used uninsulated metal I would be reflecting heat backwards into the wall, and that's what I'm trying to reverse.
altasnowman

Hi diasbox,
I would insulate the frame with Roxsul insulation(not 100% sure on the spelling) as it does not burn. the other thing that you can do is to use durarock(concrete board) as a backing to the stainless or alumimum sheet and this will not allow the heat to pass through to the rear of the frame. JMO The other thing that you could do is to place a small fan behind the stove to force air movement over stove and out into the room, I have seen this in many old farm houses that the owners heat their homes with only wood or coal and they have been doing this for years. actually had this type of setup when i was younger and renting.
The dirtyist word in the dictionary CANCER....it takes many too soon and leaves nothing but anger and pain. We all mourn the loss of those that have succummed to this......
diasbox

Thanks, I'll look for Roxul and concrete board at Home Depot.