Giving up

Whether it's NASCAR or your family vacation, talk about anything here!

Moderators: Greg, Mark, JD

Jim from Canada

After years of trying to get the land owner to do his job, fighting un-fair and illegal charges. Idiot neighbours, noise, bad maintenance, etc. We have decided that the toll is costing us too much financially and emotionally. We are giving up our beloved home and looking to buy another place where we actually own the land and don't have to put up with a wrecking yard next door and the frustration of a landowner who is an a**hole. We have fought the good fight long enough and can't go on. Best case now is we find a piece of land that we can move our home to, but that may be impossible as there are few places that will allow it. This is where our son passed away and our hearts are breaking to give it up. We have spent many thousands of dollars on improvements that we will not get back. The landowner keeps systematically harassing us and we cannot get satisfaction from the police, the housing tribunal, or the town by-law officers. Many neighbours have "signed on" with us but will not take action on their own to support improving the community. We can't carry the ball on our own. It is not in my nature to let these people down as many are elderly and need help but it is hurting us too much. Nothing will happen soon as we are just going to explore our options. All we know is we are getting out of here. Our home is 20 years old now so it is unlikely any park will accept it. I guess we are in a state of confusion and have to get our heads together and make a plan.

Jim
Greg

Jim, I understand what you are going through. Since the weather is going to close in on you fast, take your time and try to relax some untill spring. If a great deal comes your way between now & then go for it. One other thought, since Chris did die there, perhaps the change will do you good, in fact that could be the reason for what is happening, his way of telling you "dad, it's time to move on". Greg
Last edited by Greg on Sat Oct 06, 2007 2:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
Yanita

Hi Jim,

Soo sorry to here about all this. You and Sal are strong and will make the proper decisions. Perhaps Greg is right, it maybe time to move on. I certainly understand the reluctance of leaving what was Chris's home as well. All the memories are hard to leave.

It is really hard to fight a fight that only you are fighting. Hopefully you will find land or another homestead that will be perfect for you.

When Larry and I sold out a year and a 1/2 ago, it was tough, like you many improvements that we knew we would not recover the money. BUT, you know, piece of mind that this new place is ours! Even the very land that it is sitting on! That goes along way with mental piece of mind, now whatever we do we do not need permission and we don't have offensive neighbors!

Instead of viewing this as a loss, look at it as a new adventure! You have the winter to use to bank some money and make some good decisions. When we were looking for land the internet real estate sites were alot of help!

Take care and keep us posted!

Yanita
The difference between success and failure is who gives up first!
Barb P

Jim, I'm so sorry it's come to this. I understand well, the frustration you feel from bad neighbors.
That is how my hubby and I came to buy this land and put our home on it.
As hard as it is for me to maintain since he died, I don't want to leave, for the same reason you don't. My memories are here.
But you have Chris in your heart, and that won't change when you move.
BarbP
JD
Site Admin

Hi Jim,

It does sound like a bad situation. Hate to see this happen to you. Your landlord must be a real jerk. I know you will feel bad about leaving your neighbors to deal with this, but it seems to me that that is exactly what you are doing. Like you said, explore your options and make a plan. The new day waits for when you are ready.

JD
☯JD♫
Today is PERFECT!

All information and advice given is for entertainment and informational purposes only. The person doing the work is solely responsible to insure that their work complies with their local building code and OSHA safety regulations.
troyster

Jim you did what you could do and sometimes thats all you can do buddy.I feel for you and your wifes situation, I know what stress can do too a person. for your health and happiness it would be better for you and your wife to move on. Chris is looking down on his parents and all he would want is for you and your wife too feel happiness and contentment. you will take him with you wherever you go. best wishes too you and your misses wherever you decide too call home.
Mark
Site Admin

Hey Jim,

Keep us up-to-date as to what happens. We don't want to lose track of you. Moving always stinks, but if it brings you a better quality of life, then that's what you need to focus on. Life's too short to live in an area that's uncomfortable.

Mark
You can't fail if you don't try!
Jim from Canada

The landlord here is gone all summer, basically abandoning the park. He will not enforce any of the rules of the park. We have had boil water advisories from the first of the year to the end of August, save for about 3 weeks. Yet he wants add a surcharge on the water. This is on top of the extra money we are now giving him for water charges. There are places that have been condemned as unsuitable to live in and had to be removed. Places that should be condemned and he will not issue orders to clean up or repair. My nieghbour is a "disability hillbilly" who has spent 5 months grinding on a vehicle some times 12 hours a day...but can't work. He has no problem working on his house and car(poorly I might add), leaving tires and junk and debris in the yard. Because of this my homes value is lowered to the point that I cannot recoup my investment. Lots of etc. etc. to these problems too. Sal is in tears over it, we have endured harassment, verbal and physical assaults, lights shining in our windows, noise, you name it. Many of the tenants have been talking to us saying they don't want us to leave. Some are asking if they can go to the tribunal and testify on our behalf. So many nice ones and a few jerks that ruin it all. We are considering renting our place out to a few unsavoury characters we know. Fight fire with fire. They will not respect our home, but they don't respect anyone else either, including the landlord. Not the kind of people you would want your kids around. Just mulling over the options for a while we wait for paper work to arrive.