Vapor barriers. Better place to buy where not 10ftx100ft

Whether it's NASCAR or your family vacation, talk about anything here!

Moderators: Greg, Mark, JD

betty_joanne

Checked lowes and home depot online. The 4 mil and 6 mil plastic sheeting come in 10ft by 100ft pieces according to website. I have 28x76 double wide. Any better options out there size wise. atleast 15ftx100ft?

Oh, is there a whole lot of difference in water vapor barrier performance between the 4 mil and the 6 mil?

I know that many of the clear rolled plastic sheeting products made by Frost King come in 25' widths. You would have to unroll it and unfold it, of course. I usually use it for inside storm windows where I'm missing the original storm window & frame (at least until I buy replacements from Ashville Mobile Homes). The bigger the roll, the longer the length and it is available at most Home Depots & Lowe's in various thicknesses.
Yanita

JMO,

But if you are installing this under a home already set up, the 10 ft widths are much easier to handle.

Yanita
The difference between success and failure is who gives up first!
betty_joanne

Nope home is being moved to another location. At current location the mobile home does have some sort of plastic sheeting(6-7 years old??) but i will not know the condition of the used plastic sheeting until the home is moved.
ImaDufus

I recently purchased as older mobile home vintage 1978 in St Petersburg, FL. The undercarriage batting was falling down so I had someone staple it back up and put cross-boards to keep it up. Are these units supposed to have a plastic sheeting (vapor barrier) underneath in addition to the insulation?

Thanks

Tim
betty_joanne wrote:Checked lowes and home depot online. The 4 mil and 6 mil plastic sheeting come in 10ft by 100ft pieces according to website. I have 28x76 double wide. Any better options out there size wise. atleast 15ftx100ft?

Oh, is there a whole lot of difference in water vapor barrier performance between the 4 mil and the 6 mil?
JD
Site Admin

Hi Tim,

The vapor barrier under the insulation, attached to the home, is usually called underbelly. The best stuff to use is available from this web site under Books & Parts.

6 mil plastic is often put directly on the ground as a vapor barrier.

JD
☯JD♫
Today is PERFECT!

All information and advice given is for entertainment and informational purposes only. The person doing the work is solely responsible to insure that their work complies with their local building code and OSHA safety regulations.
ImaDufus

JD wrote:Hi Tim,

The vapor barrier under the insulation, attached to the home, is usually called underbelly. The best stuff to use is available from this web site under Books & Parts.

6 mil plastic is often put directly on the ground as a vapor barrier.

JD
Thanks for the response.

I looked under Books and Parts and didnt find any mention of 6 mil plastic. Could you please send me the URL?

Thanks again.

Tim
Yanita

Hi Tim,

Underbelly material can be found in the books/parts link....6mil plastic is bought at any hardware store, maybe even Wal Mart.

Yanita
The difference between success and failure is who gives up first!