Military Roller Coaster!

Whether it's NASCAR or your family vacation, talk about anything here!

Moderators: Greg, Mark, JD

Maureen

As most of you know, both Ryan and Daniel are now in the Army. All I can say is that this a really new life for me LOL!

As most parents these days, we are so used to being connected with our children. When they go military, you sort of revert to snail mail when that can happen during basic and AIT training. Man, I forgot how slow that can be! I relied on snail mail most of my life! We all spoil easily!

I last heard from Ryan last week. He was going down range to BCT in Ft Benning. He had been in reception, or week zero for a week. He said he most likely wouldn't have another phone call until 3 weeks. We have less then 3 minutes to talk when he does have 'phone time'. He won't get his cell phone back until he gets to AIT in early December. It will be letters, when he gets the chance for a few months.

I haven't heard from Daniel at all. Pretty scary, but I have found a few really good army forums that have helped me out there. Other mom's and dad's worried. The best is run by the Army and I can't tell you how helpful they have been! Most likely, Daniel is still in reception until this Friday. One of the friends came by last Saturday to 'check in'. He told me then that Dan does have his cell phone late at night and has texted him to let him know he's okay. Big sigh of relief there!

Anyway, outside of work, I've go to get the yard ready for Winter and the house! Working on the boys room and bath. They have to be done by Christmas Exodus! Big job! We have lost so many plants this year due to the drought and some weird bug infestation! That's always pleasant news when you live in the desert LOL! Hey, I'll be really busy next Spring replacing plants! I guess there is a silver lining in everything LOL!

I'll be around when I can!

Maureen 8)
Never discourage anyone...who continually makes progress, no matter how slow.
'Plato'
Greg

From what CJ said when he was at Benning It depended on the drill sgt. as to your phone useage, keep him happy and you get the phone, make him mad....... Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
Maureen

WOO HOO! Finally got a letter today from Daniel! He's okay! That's all a mom wants to know!

He's stationed at Ft Knox for basic and his AIT. That is now called One Station Unit Training. Dan has a much rougher basic then most in the army. Once you get through Cavalry Scout training, they can go airborne or ranger. He's having a real tough time, but he's dealing with it! There are quite a few in his troop that are backing out, going AWOL, and even 2 in jail right now! This basic is only for the toughest guys out there. They don't even except females in this line of military work.

The biggest problem he has is trying to learn Arabic! Everything, all their orders and instructions are in Arabic! Not only does he need how to fight, but he has to learn a second language at the same time! OMG, another mommy melt down moment!

He gave me a big old long list of things he wants during Christmas exodus LOL! Mostly food and sheets that aren't made from wool LOL! He's very lonely, but half of that is his fault! He didn't realize that when you program your cell phone with phone numbers, your brain does not remember those numbers under major stress! That's the reason he hasn't called home. On the other hand most of the kids these days are so used to being connected, that they don't have to exercise their brains anymore! He learned the hard way!

Ryan has a much easier basic training. We haven't heard from him in a week, but in his last call and letter, he let us know there would be gap in communication. I'm not too worried there. I know he'll call or write when he can. He remembers the home phone at least... forgets our cell numbers LOL! Ryan's job is mostly tech, but at the same time he could be in harms way. They do need tech to repair stuff in Iraq also. One of his jobs will be to to program patriot missiles! Everything is computer based these days.

Okay, enough mommy melt down. I'm sure you all are bored to tears about now LOL! It's so hard to go from a household of rambunctious boys to Warren, me and Rocky the dog! The really hard part is trying to cook for 2 people! I've never done that in all my years! Needless to say, I've cooked about 3 times since the boys left. Hmmmm, can't really say I miss it that much LOL! I've found that take out a couple times a week works pretty good. I've cooked 2 meals in the crockpot to hold us through the rest of the week. I have to admit, the cooking and cleaning part are real going down to minimal these days.... is really sweet! Whats wrong with a decent sandwich for dinner? I'm discovering new things LOL!

Maureen 8)
'Plato'
Yanita

Hi Maureen,

LOL, you will get used to it. Yup, after our kids left the nest...my favorite meal is "reservations"! For the longest time it was much cheaper to go out and eat than to cook. I don't do leftovers well so dumping all that extra food in the trash is a major waste...LOL, try making spaghetti for 2! You will get used to it after awhile.

After the last one moved out I cleaned there bathroom up, redecorated it etc...BUT, I forgot to use that bathroom on occasion. If you find yourself doing the same remember to at least run water down the drains of the sink and tub! I spent a few hours trying to track down "that" smell.

Your boys will be fine, this builds character! Our daughter is in the service, the Air Force. She has been in for several years now. Currently she is training in the medical field, will graduate as a RN in December. What I don't care for is what comes next...she wants to be in the helicopters that pick up wounded soldiers in combat...

She has already gone thru extensive training, jumping out of perfectly good planes and helicopters. One training mission was a night mission. She called home scared to death. This was a 3 day training exercise, you jump out in the dark, all you have with you is limited food, combat gear and a map/compass. Find your own way and find your own food....ALONE...in a swampy area! Brave girl!

We are really proud of her, but do I like what she is doing...heck no! Wished she would of choose to be a nurse in the Germany hospital, but the choice is hers...she always pushes herself! Loves excitement!

Yanita
The difference between success and failure is who gives up first!
Greg

Maureen, even worse than getting used to them NOT there, is having them return to live with you after you have gotten used to being alone! Greg
Yanita

ROFL,

Greg, I could not have said that better myself! :lol:

Yanita
Harry

Hi

Greg is right.

They leave.

You think they are weaned.

Then they COME BACK.

Harry
Aside from the roof leak, soft floors, rats, mice and bursted plumbing ........ how do you like it?
Maureen

LOL! Guys! I do know what you mean! Well, not actually first hand. Our oldest boy moved out years ago and he hasn't returned.

Yanita, I'm doing my very best, but we can't eat out all the time. Warren does have health and heart issues, so we have to be careful. I've been cooking heart healthy since Ryan was 5 years old! His heart and blood pressure are closely closely regulated by doctor and meds. But, he and I have to do our part also. Eating really healthy is a very important part of the as well as exercise.

OMG, too funny! Right after Daniel and Ryan joined and we got their ship date, I notified family. I called one of my sisters. The one that I'm closest to. She said she didn't want to hear it LOL! She got a call from her son, he finally got married! She's also expecting her 5th grandbaby in about 5 months. She's a year and a half older than I am. No grand kids here yet! Yay!!! I'm just so not ready!

Anyway, her youngest daughter and her hubby are having a house built. They are now moving in with her for the 2 months that she thought this would take LOL! I burst her bubble.. big time! I told her 4 to 6 months. She didn't like this at all LOL! She's got a small little 2 bedroom condo. The daughter and son-in-law have 2 kids. She'll be sleeping on the couch for a few months LOL!

We both decided it was time to go back to our once a week girls night out. We've done this for the past 35 years! When times get tough, we run away one night a week for a good dinner and a quiet place to vent, cry and well gripe big time!

It's cathartic and helps us over those life bumps!

Nope, when you have kids, they never go to far away. Those that do, you always keep in your heart!

Maureen 8)
'Plato'
Yanita

Hey Maureen,

Maybe we can start a recipe exchange, remember I have been doing heart healthy since Tony was born in 1977! Also am pretty good with diabetic meals...youngest son Mike is borderline diabetic....LOL, try cooking a holiday meal under those conditions!

Guess we are lucky we have several restaurants that are health conscience and have separate menus for different medical needs.

Yanita
Greg

Heart healty, that's where you eat food with lots of greese to help lubricate the blood and the heart doesn't work as hard right? Greg
Maureen

LOL Greg! That's the number one reason reason Warren and I don't go out to dinner too often. He has the same idea as what is heart healthy food! The only time we go off that diet is 2 weeks over the holidays.

Yanita, I have plenty of heart healthy recipes! I'd be glad to share with you! I do more with extra virgin olive oil and spices to kick things up a notch. Low fat dairy products, less red meat, lots of chicken, fish and pork, when we do add meat. We have tried to do at least 2 to 3 veggie meals a week. No one here has complained, but if we ate out all the time, that would be a different situation LOL! We all love digging into that red meat when we can!

I don't have the diabetic issue here.

You are lucky! If you have trained Larry to order off the Heart healthy menu, kudos to you! Warren figures if I didn't cook it and we're paying for it, he's gonna get what he wants LOL!

Maureen 8)
'Plato'