Rebuilding power tool batteries

Whether it's NASCAR or your family vacation, talk about anything here!

Moderators: Greg, Mark, JD

Maineman

I am thinking of having the 12 volt batteries rebuilt for my cordless drill. They came with 1.7 mAh NiCad batteries and would cost $65 each to replace with 1.7 mAh. A company called Primecell can rebuild them with 2.1 mAh NiCad batteries for $33 each or with "best" NiMh batteries for $47 each. The web site doesn't say but I think the "best" NiMh batteries will be either 2.1 or 3.3 mAh. I am leaning towards the 2.1 mAh NiCad batteries as the original ones have lasted 8 years.

It seems like a no-brainer, just want to hear from some others about their experiences with rebuilt batteries.
Greg

Check batteriesplus.com the carry most of the tool batteries. Who made the drill? Ryobi batteries are very inexpensive. On the flip side, I WISH I could find batteries for my Snapon drill for $65. Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
Maineman

Hi Greg,

Went to the batteriesplus web site. Apparently they sell new, rebuilt and/or reconditioned batteries.

Going to have my batteries rebuilt by primecell.com. I found it on the web and asked about them on another handy man web site. Primecell was highly recommended.

They will rebuild my Porter Cable 12 volt drill batteries fo $33 each plus $10 shipping. I have 2 so total cost will be $76 plus the cost of shipping the batteries to them. They do not sell rebuilt batteries. You must send them your old battery case and they will install new 2.1 mAh batteries in your case. You should be able to have them rebuild your Snap On batteries. You can do a search on their web site for your particular battery by make, model and battry voltage but apparently their search function does not work too well. I did a search for Porter Cable and "no Porter Cable batteries were found"!!!

I asked them to send me a quote for my batteries before I send them in for service. Will post a reply when I get their quote.
Yanita

Hi,

I am going to put this in the OT forum as it is not about MH Repairs.

I will not lock it so you can reply back when you get your batteries.

Yanita
The difference between success and failure is who gives up first!