I'm an evil mom, I'm making my son earn his keep ;)

Whether it's NASCAR or your family vacation, talk about anything here!

Moderators: Greg, Mark, JD

Jaie

I thought some of you would be amused to know, that poor Tarquin had a half day, so he's up on the roof of the new trailer shoving some tar into the push out's seam. The flashing that was on it separated a bit in the move, and I have new flashing, but the general opinion of several roofer buddies is that the old is in excellent shape, and it's just a question of new tar and some nails. I got up there for about all of 5 minutes to take a fast look myself. Then decided I still hate roofs, and that a 16 year old is far more nimble at this sort of thing than making my poor fat butt get up there.

And yes, he's taking pictures. :wink:
Mark
Site Admin

Making a 16-year-old climb up and do repairs will build character. Or if anything, put hair on his chest! LOL.

Mark
You can't fail if you don't try!
Jaie

The darling. He did such a good job too. I'm so proud of my little manly man.
Yanita

LOL my question is...

"How big of a whip did you use to get him up there?"

I know my sons at that age never did repairs for me, but I certainly recall the struggle to get them to do the simple things, you know...clean their rooms, take out the trash, mow the yard...

Yanita
The difference between success and failure is who gives up first!
Jaie

Nope. I asked, he went. I've got him pretty well trained for his wife to be. He does dishes, feeds his cats, goes to church twice a week, and doesn't swear. I think I'm doing pretty good.

I won't say he's thrilled, cause he's not. But he knows with it being just me and hiim, someone has to do some stuff and my health only allows so much.
Greg

Tell him that was a pratice run for this winter!! Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
Jaie

He's the one who cared for it last winter, and all the other winters ;) and last year Oswego made the record books and CNN.
Sylvia

I don't think either of my boys could have managed anything like that at 16. They were/are indoors kind of boys. Much more helpful for reformatting a computer. Lucky you!
Greg

I thought CNN & The weather channel had "Field offices " there for the winter! :D Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
Maureen

Hi Jaie,

I brought all the boys up to to pitch in whenever help was needed! I taught them how to repair just about anything around the house. I taught them how to landscape. At the same time, I taught them how to wash dishes, clean their clothes and iron them also! My boys were up on roofs doing repairs when they were 10 to 12 years old, with guidance.

You're not evil, you're preparing them for the hard facts of life!

Now, I have to admit, that our younger son Ryan grew up with a really close knit circle of friends. That's how we sort of ended up adopting Daniel. Our house was always the go to place for the boys. But, they learned that they all had to earn their keep here. If they wanted my 4 hour marinara sauce with spaghetti, they had to earn it!

The payoff has been, that I've had 3 out of the crowd that check in weekly now to see if we need help! Since Ryan and Daniel are now in the army, that means that our values made a difference in not only Ryan's life and Dan's, but 3 of their other close friends. How cool is that?

Don't be afraid to push a 16 year old! They need and even crave those extra chores! They may gripe big time, but it will pay off in the long run!

Maureen 8)
Never discourage anyone...who continually makes progress, no matter how slow.
'Plato'
Jaie

I have pictures of course. I'll post them when I'm back online though. (phone is off at the house) he did a really good job to be honest. And the real test was last night, when we had a massive amount of rain. He did really good.