replacing front entry door

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

appletonbill

Is it ok to replace a entry door with a non-mobile home type of door like you would get at Menards? My brother said that you have to use a door just made for mobile homes because of heaving and such. The doors from Mobile Home Stuff are like $500.00 and I don't want to spend that much.
Today is the first day of the rest of your life.
Greg

Many of us have full size doors. There are a few things to watch before doing the job. You will need to add at the LEAST a double top header If you have snow loads you may want a triple. Make sure you have enough room before you start. You may also want to go a little wider also, again make sure you have the room. Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
Jim from Canada

Greg is right, but doing bit of framing work is worth it in the long run. I have even put in sliding patio doors, so really, anything is doable.

Jim
Harry

Hi

Sometimes shortening a standard door is an option. Here's a "how-to" link.

http://www.mobilehomerepair.com/article13.html

Harry
Aside from the roof leak, soft floors, rats, mice and bursted plumbing ........ how do you like it?
Yanita

Hi,

Everyone has given you the proper in thus far.

Thanks Harry for reminding us that a door can be cut to fit height wise. Just be certain to get a door of the proper width.

Depending on your level of carpentry skills this is a great option as well. Installing a full size door adding headers etc is a DIY, but you need some carpentry skills.

Remember, if choosing to go with a full size door, check where your switch is for your outside light, as well as where is the GFCI outlet if you have one near your entry door. These are things that will need to be addressed as well.

I agree with you 100%, getting a traditional door is getting more for your money. As we all know, you will replace your MH replacement door in another 8 to 10!

Good luck and let us know how you do!

Yanita
The difference between success and failure is who gives up first!
Manitoba Bill

Jim from Canada wrote:Greg is right, but doing bit of framing work is worth it in the long run. I have even put in sliding patio doors, so really, anything is doable.

Jim
I hope Jim doesn't mind but here is the link to his door install on the old forum.
And the things he ran into.

http://www.mobilehomerepair.com/forums/ ... php?id=537
[color=red]
I'm not an Expert, just a DIY[/color]
appletonbill

Thanks for the advice everyone. I have done quite a bit of carpentry work in my life, I just didn't want to spend so much for a MH door if I did't have too.
Today is the first day of the rest of your life.
Yanita

Hi,

Can not blame you for that. A traditional door is a much better buy!

I will consider this thread answered and lock it off. Should you have further questions please feel free to post again.

Yanita
The difference between success and failure is who gives up first!