Mobile home builders humor

Whether it's NASCAR or your family vacation, talk about anything here!

Moderators: Greg, Mark, JD

Busybee1952

Most of you know that I've been working on re-insulating the under belly of my mobile home. I found this as I was working. Look closely at the picture and you will see it inscribed on the floor joists.

It seems they must have been waiting for something while they enjoyed a game of tic tac toe! This will be my 5th full day of re-insulating and putting up belly wrap and I'm really sick of it! Should be ready to finish the skirting insulation and put the skirting back on today! This is not a fun or easy job no matter how positive your attitude so I thank the builders for leaving me something to make me smile while doing this awful job.
With courage you will dare to take risks, have the strength to be compassionate and the wisdom to be humble. Courage is the foundation of integrity ..... Nair, Keshavan
JD
Site Admin

Hi Pat,

While doing repairs, I have found McDonalds and Taco Bell bags, some with a little food, Schnapps and Wild Turkey bottles, and every once in a while, tools.

JD
☯JD♫
Today is PERFECT!

All information and advice given is for entertainment and informational purposes only. The person doing the work is solely responsible to insure that their work complies with their local building code and OSHA safety regulations.
Busybee1952

JD, since my trailer is 23 years old, I wished I had found tools! That would have been really cool!
With courage you will dare to take risks, have the strength to be compassionate and the wisdom to be humble. Courage is the foundation of integrity ..... Nair, Keshavan
Yanita

Hi Guys,

Although humorous, it's not a repair question. I will move this to OT.

Good luck finishing up your underbelly repairs Busybee.

Yanita
The difference between success and failure is who gives up first!
Maureen

Hi Busybee!

We all know how horrid down under repairs are! Re-insulating and new belly wrap is the worst physically and mentally!

Hang in there, it will all be done very soon... and the outcome will be well worth it!

All I ever found was empty beer bottles! Makes you wonder since that major parts of our homes, including the belly are constructed at the plant! Finding tools would be really great, but Schnapps and wild turkey bottles would scare me more than beer bottles LOL! But, it could explain all those extra staples we all come across when renovating our homes!

Makes you wonder how many folks got injured on the job huh? We've all heard the stories of a few construction workers walking around with nails in their brains for a few months. How does someone NOT know they were shot in the head with a nail gun?!?! Maybe the liquor bottles tell the tale? Who knows!

Maureen 8)
Never discourage anyone...who continually makes progress, no matter how slow.
'Plato'
Ketta

You know you're repairing/remodelling a mobile home when...

While replacing old aluminum windows with vinyl, you encounter shoddy construction (2 x 4's crooked, etc) behind the panelling and insulation. Thus, because you're trying to do a good job the first time around, you level the opening for the new window. Perfectly. Then, you step back and realize the window is dead-on level, but your 37 year old mobile has settled enough that it's the ONLY thing that's level. (**I'm new, and I intend to post a pic sometime soon).

You find a slip of paper behind some insulation you removed for a project that had a tidy list of measurements on it. You wonder if that had any effect on the original construction.

You have trouble conveying the idea that yes, the water heater you need has to be no bigger than a certain size, to a salesperson. Yes sir, the door's only so wide. Door? He says...

You feel like you're in a toy store when you discover there really are stores that carry anything you can imagine you'll ever need for your mobile.
Yanita

Hi Ketta,

It is always best to have your home releveled before you start with major renovations, doors windows, roof and floors. Even then, I have never found a wall that was plumb, or any other surface that was completely level!

Aluminum windows are not the best design, but not all homes will have major rot either. Alot depends on how the owners thru the years maintained the home.

We bought this 35 yo doublewide last year and had all the doors and windows replaced. The windows were replaced with vinyl double hung windows, not one sill needed to be replaced. When we upgraded to standard size doors there was one that had some rot that need to be repaired.

Your home will last providing preventive maintenance is done faithfully.

Yanita
The difference between success and failure is who gives up first!