Hanging Stuff on Wall (Wallboard)

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

eshm

Our mobile home has "wallboard", and I'm curious what the best option for hanging stuff on the wall would be. Typical nails? Special hanging items? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
Yanita

Hi,

Hopefully you want to hang your pics where there is a stud, if so then I use small finishing nails. I have hung smaller, light weight items with push pin tacks. Then other things that are heavy you have to use a anchor, you predrill the wall set the anchor into the hole, when you tighten the screw in it spreads the back of the anchor.

Now others have, but I have not tried those new things that are out. Kind of like a piece of wire, bent , you push it threw the wall and it seems to rest up against the back of the sheetrock. Someone will either tell you about or post a pic...

Yanita
The difference between success and failure is who gives up first!
Greg

Regular straight pins work wll also for light things and the hole they leave is hardly noticable. Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."

I believe what Yanita is describing are Hercules Hooks (as seen on TV.) I recently purchased some and was quite disappointed. As good as they look on TV, in real life they do not work very well. They are completely useless for anything but the lightest of loads and are not suitable for thin mobile home interior walls as the curve of the hook needs a lot of room behind the wall to push them in completely. They are also far from stable and every hook I installed immediately turned upside down once even the smallest picture was placed on them. You'd actually be better off using a push pin rather than these ridiculously overpriced pieces of bent wire. They are also very difficult to push into even the thinnest panelling - I had to use pliers!
I now use Toggle Bolts for heavy items and all-metal Hollow Wall Anchors (the kind with the screw that contracts the base against the inside of the wall) for everything else. You may also want to try plastic self-adhesive picture hooks that you can find at any department store. They are rated for weight and do not leave puncture marks.
Yanita

Hey Mobile Wayne,

Yup, "as seen on tv" LOL, those are what I was talking about! I could of sworn another site member swore by them, LOL, apparently it was not you. :?

Anyways, there are a variety of items you can use to hang your pics, and weight plays a large factor in what, where and how you will hang it!

Good luck!

Yanita

I was also wondering about that, since I'm in the middle of decorating my home. I would like to get it right in the middle of the studs. I once had a electronic stud finding device but it wasn't accurate enough ended up making a bunch of holes until finally hit wood. I also got a rather large and heavy LCD TV 52 inch Samsung arriving soon and I would like to mount it on the wall, I just don't trust the strenght of the studs if it could handle the weight around 120 lbs I believe it may end up on a floor stand.

Anyone here using a wall mount for their large screen TV? How safe is it hate to come home one day and find it laying busted on the floor.
Yanita

Hi Jim,

If you mount it on an exterior wall you should be fine, again as long as the mounts hit the studs.

IMO if you want it mounted on an interior wall I would remove one interior wall panel, sister the studs and then repair the wall and then mount the tv.

I want ours on an interior wall, unfortunately we have already textured and painted this wall prior to the purchase of the tv. I personally do not care for the stands, contemporary look and that is not my taste.

Yanita
Brenda (OH)

would a horizontal board for a rail, painted white, with a fancier trim board of top of it, (such as the home improvement stores sell for chair railing or picture frames) work if it were attached across a wider area, such as 3 or 4 studs? the bottom of the heavy picture or TV would rest on it, with additional hooks etc on the wall studs.

actually, I think I just accidentallly described a "mantel"!

so, I guess my question becomes, is it possible to put a mantel on an interior wall in a MH to support a flat screen TV or a heavy framed picture etc.

not being funny, just got up at midnight and couldn't get back to sleep, and decided to read a few postings here until the sinus pills work. no rain, high pollution in the midwest right now...

Brenda (OH)
Maureen

One other choice is the thin wall anchors that Mark offers here on the site!

It's a pretty good deal and easy to use! Just check out the Books and Parts link at the link at the top of the page!

Maureen 8)
Never discourage anyone...who continually makes progress, no matter how slow.
'Plato'
Linda

I have been using the Hercules Hooks now for awhile and I have not had any problems with them. I have a mirror(about 10 lbs) and all my family pictures down my hallway hung with the hooks and everything is still in place. I was able to get them in easy except when I hit a stud. I however would not try hanging a TV on them. I have used 3 or 4 packages of these and not had any trouble.

Linda

The more I think about it what about all those wires, how do you hide them if you wall mounted the TV they will all hanging down, looking horrible, either you route all the wires through the wall and out the bottom which will be nearly impossible to do. Looks like I'll be going with some kind of base stand.