NEWBIE!! Bathroom in ruins help!!

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

JasoninTC

Hey all. I have some new pictures. Have really dug into this tearing stuff out and trying to kill whatever mold I can until I can completely redo both rooms. Looks my tub was 54"x27" and will be a special order and ridiculously expensive, I wanted to go with a shower receptor but dont know if I can, if anyone knows let me know, thanks!!
JD
Site Admin

There are 54x27 shower basins available through the same mobile home parts suppliers. On that mold problem, I would definitely cut all that wall board out. The only recommended way to treat mold like that is to remove it completely. The room should be sealed off and the cut out areas of mold should be put directly into 6 mil bags. After the mold areas are sealed in the bags, the entire room should be cleaned and treated for mold. I would highly recommend that you do some google searches on mold remediation to handle this problem properly.

JMO

JD
☯JD♫
Today is PERFECT!

All information and advice given is for entertainment and informational purposes only. The person doing the work is solely responsible to insure that their work complies with their local building code and OSHA safety regulations.
Maureen

I have to agree with JD on the mold problem! That's quite extensive from the photos. Without hiring a mold expert to come in and test, you may be putting your health at risk!

As JD mentioned, remove the wall board and any insulation, just as he suggested! Please use a mask when working in this area, if you aren't going to have it tested. Inspect the wall studs for mold also.

That mold is pretty extensive, and nothing that a DIYer should be trying to themselves, in my opinion!

Health first, structure second, pretty down the road, when you can afford it! Not all of us have to keep up with the Jones, or outdo each other. In my opinion, that's really over rated these days. Get that room healthy and structurally sound first. That's the most important. Then worry about the fixtures and such. You may have to settle for less than you want, but at least the bathroom will be healthy, structurally sound and usable.

Maureen 8)
Never discourage anyone...who continually makes progress, no matter how slow.
'Plato'
altasnowman

Hi Jason,
Good pics, But please use a mask when you are working in there as we don't need to hear that you are in the hospital. Dealing with mold is something that should be done by the pros but if you are going to do it yourself then ensure that the room is sealed off from the rest of the home, and when you remove it bag it.seal it then bag it again.You can spray with a bleach/water solution of 1 part bleach to 1 part water. This does not always kill the mold the first time around but it works if you want to try doing yourself , but personally i would leave it to the pros. hope you are doing well and think you are doing a great job, keep up the good work.
The dirtyist word in the dictionary CANCER....it takes many too soon and leaves nothing but anger and pain. We all mourn the loss of those that have succummed to this......
Yanita

I am with JD...

This is a DIY project, UNLESS you have asthma or other major allergies. Spray with the bleach/water solution, get your bags and saw sall ready. Don't forget to seal off the room and make sure you cover the vent with plastic as well. Turn on exhaust fan, put on some googles if you want and an mask...happy demo!

JMO, Yanita
The difference between success and failure is who gives up first!
Greg

Jason, do yourself 2 favors, first use a mask, mold can really effect your breathing. Second, do some measuring, you MAY be able to move a wall a few inches and put a fullsize tub in. They can usually be found on sale or clearence, as well as the surround. Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
mp183

That looks like my tub.
Will have to change mine early next year.
Have to measure mine to make sure of the size.
I'm moving a wall if I have to.
The what is that white "foundation" under the tub.
Mine probably has the same thing.
The actual bottom of the tub seems to be about 3" off the ground.
Yanita

Hi,

That white foundation is a piece of foam. Over the years this stuff compresses, which in turn causes cracks in the tub...notice that it does not extend to the very ends either. Very poor design. I can sympathize with you all, we have one of those tubs as well.

Already did a master bath makeover, we did move out one wall, removed the tub, put in a shower, removed the vanity, and bought an antique vanity and installed the sink in that.

One more to go. Already removed a wall that divided the bathroom from the laundry area, it will all become one room. Waiting on the remodel, at that time I think we are going to install a tankless water heater. Gonna need one LOL, I insisted on a soaker tub this time around!

Yanita
JasoninTC

Well I have sprayed down all the mold I could see with bleach water, got the tub out everything is staying as is until my uncle gets here to help me with the project, Ive got that bedroom door shut and the window open in there I figure that mold has been right by our heads when we were sleeping for months, so if it was the dangerous mold we would have had some effects from it by now, but i still used a mask and covered all my skin (was sweatin' like a pig :P)
Greg

Usually mold is only a problem when you disturb it and get it airbourn. so when you start you work is when the mask comes into play. Greg
JasoninTC

Finally finished, here are some pics.
Greg

Looks good, great job! Windows next??? Greg
JD
Site Admin

Hey Jason,

Excellent job! Looks great! I am sure you will always get a good feeling when you see your repairs. From disaster to shaaweet.

JD
☯JD♫
Today is PERFECT!

All information and advice given is for entertainment and informational purposes only. The person doing the work is solely responsible to insure that their work complies with their local building code and OSHA safety regulations.
Yanita

Wow, what a difference !

Sooo glad that I saw full sheet vinyl in there. You will be glad that you did.

Again good job! Thanks for giving us the update on your renovation and sharing the pics.

Now, LOL, did I here you say you were ready to tackle the windows?

Yanita
JasoninTC

LOL, Windows will have to wait until I replenish the ol' bank account, also gonna tear out the carpet in the living room next year and put the laminate in, we love how it looks in the bedroom and its cheap and verrrrry easy to install. thanks for all the praise, this was my first time ever doing a major repair and my uncle never made it up so i was on my own the whole way.