Package Unit vs Split System

Post all other heating and cooling questions here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark

shadowdog

Would like opinions on whether a package unit or split system is the better system. I recently purchased a double wide and had it placed on a full concrete pad with block skirting. It has an old oil furnace in a closet that takes room from the bathroom. I want to replace it with a new unit. I was thinking that a package unit would be better so i could take the closet out and be able to expand the bathroom. I just don't know much about the package units. Like their efficiency vs the split system. Any thoughts would be welcome. I know i would have to seal off the old furnace opening and run new duct to connect.
hvac1000

A package unit is a very nice way to go. The blower noise is outside, it is precharged with refrigerant so no one has to vac and charge the system. ( For a do it yourself it is good that you do not have to depend upon someone to braze,vac,and charge the system.)
It will also free up a area in the house that was taken by the furnace for other uses.

If you go with the package make sure the pipe extending out of the roof is removed and the roof patched.

There is not much to say about the other standard system you mentioned because it offers no real advantages over the package unit unless you consider that if the furnace breaks in cold weather the conventional unit will have the furnace inside where in the package unit it will be outside.
God, grant me the serenity
to accept the things I cannot change;
the courage to change the things I can;
and the wisdom to know the difference.
Yanita

Hi,

Nothing technical to say here, just wanted to say that we recently had our split system removed and a packaged unit installed...love the new closet area and no noise in the home!

Yanita
The difference between success and failure is who gives up first!
shadowdog

Thanks for the reminder about the chimney. I just wasn't seeing any down sides to the package units, yet I do not see many of them around in service. Thought I might be missing something. Are they as economical to run?
Yanita

Hi,

Mine has been about the same on electricity, but then again, its really hard to say at the moment.

Its been less than 2 months since install and during that time we have also fired up the pool pump and water garden pump. We also have had extremely high temps compared to the norm. all things considered since the last light was not a jaw dropper I guess we are doing fine.

We purchased a GPG13 single package gas-electric heating and cooling unit, Goodman. Not the most expensive and not the cheapest units available.

We had ours professionally installed, was about a day job, and really went well. My husband removed the furnace from inside, the tech removed the freon and all from the ac....they both installed the air return duct...

This unit the air temp seems much cooler than the unit that was here before, in others words instead the old unit the t-stat was set on 74, now it is set on 78 and I still feel cold when sitting....seems to be doing fine keeping up with the late afternoon blazing sun!

I really enjoy not hearing the unit and there seems to be alot less dust!

Yanita
betty_joanne

Interested in a packaged system as well. Our foreclosed mobile home purchase has no a/c or heater system. They pulled everything of value.

I am guessing it will be $6000 for purchase and install of a 13 seer 5 ton packaged unit.

Does that price sound about right? What would a split unit cost for that size tonnage for total install(from scratch) and purchase?
hvac1000

The best thing you can do is to get at least two bids from two different company's. They can both bid for a package and a split system while they are there. This way you will have four bids in total. Trying to guess how much something costs is just about impossible because every area of the country charges different amounts for labor and material.
Yanita

Hi,

I am not a HVAC tech....but just thought I would offer a little more info and thoughts.

I checked for a profile on your home and there is none. What size home do you have? Is the original duct work still available? Who said you needed a 5 ton unit, again not a tech, but can say I have never seen a MH unit with a unit that large.

In my area you can call your local utility supplier (electric) and they will send out a certified person and do a manual J for free on your home, this determines what size unit is best for your home.

After much research and conversations with various HVAC techs I purchased a Goodman 13 SEER gas/elect, heat/ac packaged unit. I can say I enjoy the noise not in my home, and the new addition of another closet, both of these HVAC mentioned.

LOL, as for repairs it makes no difference to me whether the unit is in or out, as I do not do the repairs if/when needed. I can say now that we are getting closer to fall and I have compared last years electric to this years during the hottest part of the summer I have had as little as $80.00 to as much as 118.00 savings. I am in hopes of having savings in the heat area as well.

I did not get the most expensive unit, nor the cheapest, same with brand names, suppose ably not the "best", but not the worst either. Goodman does have a 10 year warranty!

Don't have the link readily available but certainly if you do a Google on Goodman it will reveal websites for you to look threw. Goodman has areas on there site that you can complete some info and they will hook you up with a local tech, certified to install their units.

Good luck!

Yanita
Last edited by Yanita on Fri Sep 21, 2007 10:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.
betty_joanne

Just updated my profile.
I don't have electric hooked up to the home yet. The home is being moved out onto raw land that still needs electric(company says no cost but still have to wait for it) well and septic. The electric company wont install the utility poles and electric until there is a building out on the land. So, yes i bit off way more than i can chew.
28x76
1967 sq feet
doublewide
betty_joanne

Have a dumb question.
For the goodman packaged the goodman website says "The GPG15 Packaged Gas Electric provides energy-efficient cooling and heating performance in one self-contained unit." .
So the a/c is electric and the heating part is gas?
I only have electric available for the home. Gas isn't an option. Can someone explain? I want a packaged unit that is electric/electric not gas/electric.
hvac1000

Goodman and other brands are available with different fuel combinations. Electric A/C with gas heat (natural or propane) and Electric A/C with electric heat. There are also packaged heat pumps but they are a major pain to work on due to space limitations of the assembly.