Laminate Flooring

Come share your ideas for sprucing up your property.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

Robin

What's next? Well, first I gotta get our mh re-leveled. It's only been re-leveled once since 1994.
Robin

Then, I guess the first thing I want to do is replace our old carpet in living room and hall with laminate. I'm trying to talk hubby into doing this, I'm convinced we can do it, but he's just being stubborn! I'll take before and after pics, if I can talk him into it. I know, I'll just rip out the carpet and then we'll have to do something! That's what my friend did - her hubby came home to plywood floors!
Georgie

Oh you can lay the laminate, we did! It's really easy until you get to the part where u have to cut the pieces to size. We just used a table saw, we had our living room done in two hours. :D
Robin

I have a question about laminate. Does it hold up to heavy furniture? My living room is FULL of furniture. I also have a piano in there. I am just concerned about the heaviness of the furniture on the laminate. Will it hold up well? I just keep having this vision of the laminate breaking under all that weight, and believe me, that piano is heavy.
Yanita

Hi Ladies,

I split this from the original post. Hope you do not mind. I generally do not ask folks to keep on topic as much over here as I do on the Repair Forum...BUT...this is a completely different subject matter and when new folks are trying to do a search it makes it easier to find.

Hope you understand...carry on... :D

Yanita
The difference between success and failure is who gives up first!
Georgie

I think it depends on the brand that you get. I used Vitality and so far so good. We have almost had it a year. I have an overstuffed leather sofa and matching loveseat, a coffee table, two end tables, a shelf, a huge heavy trunk w/my tv on it and a few other little things and mine has done GREAT! I will tell you make sure you get covers for you furniture legs though. I couldn't find any to cover mine because they are shaped odd and my son moved the couch out to get a toy and it scratched the floor! YIKES! :roll:
Yanita

If you can not find furniture feet protectors for your furniture..you can make your own, take a piece of felt fabric, cut to fit your furniture and then hot glue in place. Fabric can be found in any craft section of most any store.

Yanita
The difference between success and failure is who gives up first!
Robin

Yanita,

I don't mind at all that you split the topic. I realized before I made my last post that it had NOTHING to do with the original post! LOL

Okay, so I guess I can make little things to go under my furniture. I have Berber carpet (I know, how dumb could I have been?) in my living room now, and I cut extra pieces to put under the feet of the couch so it would protect the carpet. Don't know if it helped, but that carpet is coming out soon!!!

This is definitely gonna be our first project, as far as the inside of our home goes - the living room and hall. I think they will be pretty reasonable as far as price. I haven't made up my mind to paint or not, I think we'll do the floor first. Everybody I've talked to says, paint first, then do the floor, but I'm not even sure I want to paint!