inspect electric first or install ac/heater, etc. first?

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

betty_joanne

My 2000 mobile home needs an a/c, heater, water heater and electric work on entire house(inspection/fixing if needed??).
Now do i get the a/c, heater, water heater installed first and then get the electrician to come in and do the inspection on the entire house or can i get all the electrical issues(if any) fixed first and then buy the a/c,heater, etc. ?

Also, when calling electrician for mobile home electric work what training do i ask about. Is there a certain certificate, etc. that they would have. I am in the alvin, tx area.
hvac1000

All mobile homes are wired to HUD specifications at the factory. Once the home leaves the factory the NEC (National Electric code) is used by most areas for further code compliance.

As far as which is first that would depend upon the jurisdiction area that you live in. My suggestion would be to call the local code authority and explain the situation and let them make the call on when to get the inspections done. You have to deal with these people anyway so you might as well set yourself up in there eyes and a person that wants to do the correct thing.

As far as picking a person or company to do the work that is a difficult call to make. Are there licensing requirements in your area?
If so that limits the number of contractors in your area that are allowed to do work. Mobile homes are wired just about the same as stick built but require a 4 wire feed for the circuit panel in the mobile home because of the metal frame under the home. The NEC wants a dedicated ground only to feed a Mobile home. A neutral is not a ground because it carries 110 volts on the 60 cycle phase shift.

I would definitely get two or more estimates before signing any contract. You might also check with your neighbors or other area residents as to whom they might recommend.
God, grant me the serenity
to accept the things I cannot change;
the courage to change the things I can;
and the wisdom to know the difference.
betty_joanne

Thank you for the info on nec.
I was able to find a website for texas that lists master electricians,license numbers, exp. date for licenses, etc.

The home may have been up to code when made but it is a foreclosure and with all light fixtures, outlets removed, etc. i have to have a master electrician in there to make sure they(previous owner/who ever took fixtures out) messed up any wires which may cause a fire hazard.

I am thinking of getting a packaged a/c/heating unit so maybe the electrician can cut the wires to the current non existant a/c unit inside and have it ready for the hvac people. Still researching since we are in for a lot more rain here so i can't even move the home yet.